Mary Falk, M.S.N., RN, CCRN, PCCN, CNLClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3085
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach across the spectrum of the undergraduate curriculum from the fundamentals level to the critical care level, with a heavy focus in the clinical environment of these courses. I am an instructor for the NURS 202 Technologies of Nursing Practice, NURS 425 Nursing of Adults II and NURS 496 Senior Synthesis courses and act as a preceptor for interprofessional case scenarios working with students of nursing, medicine, social work and pharmacy. I also serve as course coordinator for Technologies of Nursing Practice.
The primary focus of my scholarship is developing innovative strategies for improving the quality of nursing education, particularly for senior-level students as they prepare to enter professional nursing practice. I am also very interested in improving end-of-life care in the ICU and developing inter-professional education strategies.
I am an active member of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) and Greater Richmond Area Chapter (GRAC) of the AACN. I am the chair of the Clinical Education Council at the School of Nursing and a member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Council. I continue to practice at the bedside as a Clinician III in the Palliative Care Unit at VCU Health.
- Post-Baccalaureate Graduate Certificate
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
Medical Education, *First Registered Nurse Graduate
- B.A. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Cognitive Science, Focus in Neuroscience
- M.S.N. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- 08/18 Mabel E. Montgomery Award Winner VCU School of Nursing
- 08/18 The Daisy Award for Extraordinary Nursing Faculty Winner VCU School of Nursing
Presentations and Publications:
- Orr, S., Falk, M., & Elswick, R.K. (2021, February). Facing the Inevitable: Preparing Nurses to Deliver End-of-
Life Care. Poster session presented at the Annual Assembly of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Denver, CO.
- Falk, M., Clark, K., Macpherson, B. (2019, March). Nursing Students Behind Bars. Poster session presented at VCU School of Medicine Medical Education Symposium, Richmond, VA.
- Falk, M. & Orr, S. (2018). The use of parallel charting with senior-level baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 57, 629.
- Falk, M. (2018). How a New Heart Helped Transform Mine. In Carter, T., Boden-McGill, C., & Peno, K.(Eds). Transformative Learning in Professional Learning Contexts: Building Resilient Professional Identities for Work-Based Practice, 1st edition. Information Age Publications, Charlotte, NC.
- Falk, M. (2017, April). Realizing Empathy and Expertise through Accounts Lived-An Educational innovation.. Poster session presented at VCU School of Medicine Medical Education Symposium, Richmond, VA.
- Corker, J.M., Orr, S., Falk, M., & Singson, A. (2017, March). Nursing Empathy Matters: The Use of Parallel Charting to Promote Empathy in Our Future Nurses. Poster session presented at Odyssey Conference, Richmond, Va.
- Falk, M., Fields, E., Tseng, A. (2016, November). Peer Review. Presented at the VCU School of Medicine's Lunchtime Learning Session.
- Falk, M. (2016, October). REEAL: Realizing Empathy and Expertise through Accounts Lived. Poster session presented at Heart Matters Conference, Richmond, VA.
- Falk, M. Bare Hands and an Open Heart. Pulse-Voices from the Heart of Medicine. 19 August 2016.