Rachel Cloutier, M.S., RN, ACNP-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Concentration Coordinator, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3091
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach in both the graduate and undergraduate programs. I primarily teach in the Acute Care Nurse Practitioner concentration, focusing on Primary and Acute Clinical Procedures and Acute Care didactic coursework. I also teach in the clinical component of the Nursing of Adults II in the undergraduate program, and maintain an active practice as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
My scholarship interests include integration of simulation into the classroom to improve learning outcomes, symptom management and resiliency in the oncologic setting, and best practices for integration of adjunct faculty into procedural skills courses.
I am an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Richmond Region (VCNP) and currently serve in the role of treasurer, Oncology Nursing Society (ONS), and Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. I also serve as a volunteer for the University Honor Council.
- B.S. Boston University, Boston MA
- B.S. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- M.S. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioner (VCNP) Donna Campanella Distinguished Nurse Practitioner Award 2019
- VCNP Doctoral Scholarship Recipient 2019
- SON LOVE Award (School of Nursing- Living Our Values Everyday) 2019
- Virginia Nurses Foundation 40 Under 40 Honorable Mention 2015
- VCU School of Nursing Master’s Student Temple Award 2011
- Smith, S., Buchanan, H., & Cloutier, R. (2020). Virginia NP scope of practice: A legislative case study. The Nurse Practitioner, 45(2), 33-37. Doi:10.1097/01.npr.0000651120.61281.12
- Smith, S., Buchanan, H., & Cloutier, R. (in press). A legislative success story: sharing Virginia’s strategies. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Starkweather, A. R., Sargent, L., Nye, C., Albrecht, T., Cloutier, R., & Foster, A. (2017). Progressive assessment and competency evaluation (PACE) framework for integrating simulation in nurse practitioner education. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 13 (7), e301-e310.
- Cloutier, R., Horr, S., Niemi, J., D'Andrea, S., Lima, C., Harry, J., et al. (2009). Prolonged mechanical noise restores tactile sense in diabetic neuropathic patients. International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds, 8(1), 6-10.
- June 2019: Wilson, C.M., & Cloutier, R. (2019, June). Understanding of Genetic Hereditary Cancers and Identifying Families at Risk. Lecture Presentation to Oncology Nursing Society Richmond Chapter General Meeting, Richmond, VA.
- April 2019: Cloutier, R., Ameringer, S., Erickson, J. M., Elswick, R. K., Linder, L., Macpherson, C. F., & Stegenga, K. (2019, April). Symptom Experiences of Adolescents and Young Adults (AYAs) with Sarcoma Receiving Myelosuppressive Chemotherapy. Poster presented at the 22nd Annual VCU Graduate Research Symposium, Richmond, VA.
- February 2019: Cloutier, R., Ameringer, S., Erickson, J. M., Elswick, R. K., Linder, L., Macpherson, C. F., & Stegenga, K. (2019, February). Symptom Experiences of Adolescents and Young Adults (AYAs) with Sarcoma Receiving Myelosuppressive Chemotherapy. Presented in the Top Student Poster Discussion Session at the Southern Nursing Research Society 33rd Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- January 2019: Cloutier, R. & Wilson, C.M. (2019, January). Genetic Screening in Hereditary Cancers for the Primary Care Provider. Lecture Presentation to Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners General Meeting, Richmond, VA.
- November 2018: Cloutier, R., & Jordan, J. (2018, November). Symptom Management. Lecture presentation to Sarcoma Foundation of America Patient Education Conference, Richmond, VA.
- April 2015: Community practitioners as instructors: Strengths and challenges in procedural courses. Presented at Research and Evidence-Based Practice Showcase hosted by the Gamma Omega chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International at VCU School of Nursing
- March 2015: Community practitioners as instructors: Strengths and challenges in procedural courses. (2015). Presented at Odyssey Conference hosted by VCU Health Systems and American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- December 2011: Burn Prevention: Tips to Protect Your Child, VCU School of Nursing, Richmond, VA