Allison Gregory, M.S., RN, FNP-BCClinical Assistant Professor, Concentration Lead, FNP
Concentration Coordinator, Family Nurse Practitioner Program
Department of Family & Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3081
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I currently practice as a FNP at CrossOver Ministries and with Henrico County Health Department. I have practiced in several Richmond-area safety net provider clinics including Bon Secours’ Care-A-Van, a mobile free clinic serving the Richmond area, Fan Free Clinic, and the Daily Planet Medical Center. I currently serve as the FNP concentration lead for the Master’s Program and teach several courses in the FNP plan of study. My teaching approach is based on flipped classroom and active learning strategies. Additionally, I am the lead faculty liaison for the nursing student exchange program between VCU and the University of Cordoba in Cordoba, Spain. My clinical interests and expertise are in primary care and particularly of underserved/uninsured communities. I have a special interest in the health needs of the local Hispanic population.
My interests and expertise are in primary care and particularly of underserved/uninsured communities. I have a special interest in the health needs of the local Hispanic population and have partnered with faculty from the Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy on an interdisciplinary Service-Learning project called Una Vida Sana!, a health outreach program focused on the growing Hispanic population in the Richmond area.
I am a member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners (VCNP) and the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). I have served as an RN member of the Virginia Board of Nursing, chair of the Joint Committee of the Boards of Nursing and Medicine, and the nursing representative on the Board of Health Professions. I currently serve as a member of VCU’s Global Learning Advisory Panel and as an alternate member for VCU’s Faculty Senate.
- B.A. - Stetson University, DeLand, FL
Humanities and Spanish
- B.S.N. - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- M.S.N. - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- VCU School of Nursing Mabel E. Montgomery Faculty Award, 2016
- Quest Global Impact Award, Co-invesigator. Grant from VCU Global Education Office for Language and Cultural Competency Training for VCU Healthcare Students in partnership with the School of World Studies, Fall 2015.
- Principal Investigator, ¡Una Vida Sana! Assessing and Improving the Health Status of Richmond Hispanic Community; VCU Council on Community Engagement grant award, $17,000, 2010-2012.
- Vanderbilt, A.A., Jain, S., Mayer, S.D., Gregory, A.A., Ryan, M.H., Bradner, M.K. & Baugh, R.F. (2016). Clinical records organized and optimized for clinical integration and clinical decision making. International Journal of Medical Education, 7, pages 242-245. (DOI: 10.5116/ijme.576a.fff4
- Ryan, M., Vanderbilt, A.A., Mayer, S., & Gregory, A. (2015). Interprofessional education as a method to address health needs in a Hispanic community setting: A pilot study. Journal of Interprofessional Care, Early Online, 1-3. (DOI: 10.3109/13561820.2015.1020360)
- Treating Anxiety Disorders in Primary Care, (March 5, 2020). Podium presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners 2020 Annual Conference, Hilton Norfolk The Main, Norfolk, Virginia.
- Psychotropics in Primary Care. (March 8, 2019). Podium presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners 2019 Annual Conference, Hotel Roanoke Conference Center, Roanoke, Virginia.
- Addressing communication barriers and health literacy in a Hispanic community center. (June 10, 2017). 2017 Association of Community Health Nurse Educators Annual Institute, Baltimore, Maryland.
- March, 2016: Motivational Interviewing for Primary Care Providers. Podium presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners 2016 Annual Conference, The Homestead, Hot Springs, Virginia.
- March, 2015: Self-medication and self-prescription among Hispanic immigrants in the U.S. (March 25, 2015). VCNP 2015 Annual Conference, Roanoke, Virginia.