Ana Diallo, PhDAssistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3098
Richmond, VA 23298
I teach at VCU School of Nursing in the undergraduate program. The areas of my teaching focus on community health, evidence-based practice and food insecurity as a social determinant of health.
The focus of my program of research is to understand the gene-environment interactions involved in cardiovascular diseases in diverse population group. The proposed research builds upon my clinical experience as a nurse providing health promotion and care management services to older adults in low-income housing buildings. My ultimate goal through this research program is to use epidemiology and multi-omics approaches to inform clinicians during cardiometabolic disease management and public health policies about personalized nutrition interventions in minority health.
- BA Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA
Global Health and Infectious diseases
- BSN Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA
Patient care in various hospital departments and in the community
- MPH University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
Impact of breastfeeding duration on reported incidence of diarrhea in infants
- Ph.D. University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
Healthcare and nutritional management of Childhood diarrhea
- Post-Doc National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Pre-doctoral Dissertation Award, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2016
- Sigma Theta Tau Predoctoral Dissertation Award, University of Connecticut, Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Connecticut, 2012 - 2016
- Outstanding Academic Achievement, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2010 - 2011 2016
- Outstanding Academic Achievement, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2006 - 2008
- 2019-2020 Sponsor: VCU School of Nursing, Monthly IGP Research Grant. Title: Measuring food insecurity and dietary patterns of residents of the East End, Richmond, VA. Role: PI. Funding: $4,000
- 2019-2020 Sponsor: VCU Division for Inclusive Excellence IExcel Education. Title: Increasing Awareness of Food insecurity in low-income older adults living in Richmond, VA. Role: PI. Funding: $2,250
- 2014-2018 Sponsor: NIH internal funding. Title: Brain-gut interactions in overweight and normal weight patients with chronic abdominal pain. Role: Co-I. PI: W. Henderson & M. Heitkemper
- 2017-2018 Sponsor: NIH internal funding. Title: Point-of-Use Pathogen Identification Tool for Diarrhea. Role: Co-I. PI: W. Henderson.
- Diallo, A. F., McGlothen-Bell, K., Lucas, R., Walsh, S., Allen, C., Henderson, W. A., & McGrath, J. (2020 epub ahead of print). Feeding modes, duration, and diarrhea in infancy: Continued evidence of the protective effects of breastfeeding. Public Health Nursing, phn.12683. https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12683 2.
- McGrath, J. M., Vittner, D., Diallo, A.F., & Samra, H. A. (2019). Chapter 19: Developmentally Supportive and Family Centered-Care Interventions during the Golden Hour. In R. Bissinger (Ed). Golden Hour: The Handbook for care of the Very Low Birth weight Infant 2nd ed. New York, NY: Springer. 3.
- Maki, K. A., Diallo, A. F., Lockwood, M. B., Franks, A. T., Green, S. J., & Joseph, P. V. (2018). Considerations When Designing a Microbiome Study: Implications for Nursing Science. Biological Research For Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800418811639 4.
- McGrath, J. M., Vittner, D., Diallo, A. F., & Samra, H. A. (2018). Chapter 19: Developmentally Supportive and Family Centered-Care Interventions during the Golden Hour. In R. Bissinger (Ed). Golden Hour: The Handbook for care of the Very Low Birth weight Infant 2nd ed. New York, NY: Springer. 5.
- Henderson, W. A., Xiang, L., Fourie, N. H., Abey, S. K., Ferguson, E. G., Diallo, A. F. & Kim, C. H. (2018). Simple lateral flow assays for microbial detection in stool. Analytical Methods, 10(45), 5358-5363. 6. Joseph, P. V., Abey, S. K., Wang, D., Fourie, N. H., Kenea, N. D., Vishnyakova, T. G., ... & Sherwin, L. B. (2018). Colon Epithelial MicroRNA Network in Fatty Liver. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2018.https://doiorg.proxy.library.vcu.edu/10.1155/2018/8246103.
- Diallo, A. F., Falls, K., Hicks, K., Gibson-McQueen, E., Slattum, PW., Parsons, P. The RHWP Healthy Meal Program: Addressing Food Insecurity in Low Income Older Adults. SNRS 1-6-20 Research Interest Group (RIG): Community/Public Health/Health Promotion RIG (March 2020). 2.
- Diallo, A.F., Fourie, NH. Joseph, PV, Henderson, WA. (2018). Individual Differences in Intestinal Permeability: Utility of High Resolution Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS). Digestive Disorders Week. Washington DC, District of Columbia. 3.
- Fourie, N.H., Abey, S.K.,Fergusson, E., Diallo, A., Kim, C.H., Henderson, W.A. (2017). Direct Nucleic Acid Detection of Diarrheal Pathogens in Stool Using an Antibody-Free Lateral Flow Assay. Digestive Disorders Week. Washington DC, District of Columbia. 4.
- Diallo, A. F., McGrath, J. M., Lucas, R., Brandon, D. (2016). Does maternal perception of early infant breastfeeding behaviors predict missing data at 1 month?". National Association of Neonatal Nurses. Phoenix, Arizona.