Debra Shockey, DNP, RN, CPNPClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3041
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach primarily in the graduate program with emphasis on pediatric issues. Additionally, I am actively involved in the development of the DNP program.
The primary focus of my research and scholarly activities has been the examination of pre-procedural distress in children with cancer and the incorporation of biofeedback and relaxation strategies. Newer areas of interest for me have included incorporating the use of pediatric simulation activities into the curriculum for the PNP and FNP graduate students.
I am an active member of the Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses, Children’s Oncology Group and the National Association of Pediatric Nurses and Practitioners.
- BSN Virginia Commonwealth University
- MS Virginia Commonwealth University
- DNP University of Virginia
- 2020 Outstanding Faculty Award recipient from VCU School of Nursing
Livingston,R., Shockey, D., Rao, S., Morton, L. (2019). Pediatric headache management and the use of PedMIDAS. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice. 11(3).
Shockey, D. (2018). Reducing anxiety in children undergoing procedures (REACH Up!): A pilot randomized control trial (abstract). Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 32(4), 329-330.
- April 2020 SIGMA poster presentation: Pediatric Drug Calculation Game: a “Weigh” to Promote Safe Practice. Richmond, Virginia (Conference canceled).
- March 2020 Bring back the mood ring…A self-reflective timeout. 2020 National Conference NAPNAP, Long Beach, California. (Conference canceled).
- October 2019 Collaborating Across Borders (CAB VII conference), Indianapolis, Indiana.
- February 2019 Evaluating Outcomes of an Interprofessional Health Assessment Simulation (panel presentation). Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium.
- April 2018 SIGMA poster presentation: Project: REACHUP! Richmond, Virginia.
- March 2018 Project REACH UP! Reducing Anxiety in Children Undergoing Procedures. 2018 National Conference NAPNAP, Chicago, Illinois.
- February 2018 Interprofessional Health Assessment Simulation: Preparing for Success. 2018 Graduate Nursing Student Academy Conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- February 2018 Emswiller symposium poster presentation: Development of Interdisciplinary Plans of Care for Pediatric Patients…From Starfish to STAR service. Glen Allen, Virginia.
- September 2017 The ABC’s of LCH. Richmond/Charlottesville APHON Chapter meeting presentation.
- September 2015 Presenting a Professional Presentation or… How Not to be BAD (Bad, Annoying, or Downright Awful). IHTC Training Workshop, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- February 2015 Pediatric Nursing. Presentation at SNAV annual conference.