Skip to content

College of Humanities & Sciences

Department of Physics

Grades and Academic Progress FAQs

What are the course grade requirements for physics courses if I am a physics major?

A. You should always strive to get the best grades possible in all of your courses. You need to have, at the time of graduation, at least a 2.0 GPA in your physics courses and all other courses counted in your GPA at VCU to graduate with a degree in physics.

I recently earned a “D or F” in a course.  Is there a process to repeat this course?

The effective Undergraduate Bulletin states the following about repeated courses: A student may repeat a course in which a D or F was earned by filing a Historical Repeat Course Form at any time during a semester prior to the awarding of the undergraduate degree. This form must be filed before the last week of classes in any semester so the cumulative GPA can be adjusted at the end of that semester. It is available online on the Records and Registration website.

Please refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin for further details regarding Historical Repeats. 

How many times may I repeat a course and how will it affect my Financial Aid?

Federal regulations now state that if repeated coursework falls under the following condition, it cannot be included in a student’s enrollment status for Title IV aid eligibility: Any course that has already been passed (D or higher) can only be taken one additional time.  Any repeated attempts after that will not be eligible for financial aid.

Please note that all coursework attempted is included in your overall Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation, which is completed on an annual basis.  Students are required to meet minimum SAP requirements to remain eligible for financial aid.  The SAP guidelines for eligibility can be found on the Financial Aid website.

View graphic version