Skip to header Skip to main navigation Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Records and Registration

Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success

    1. Home
    2. Records
  1. Manage student records
  2. Change major/minor

Change your major or minor

Before initiating a change of major, concentration or minor, you should carefully review the online requirements and prerequisites table and contact the office administering the program of study. Credits previously earned at Virginia Commonwealth University or another university may not be applicable to the new academic program.

To request a program change, submit the Change of Major/Concentration Form or the Change of Minor Form. The change becomes official after Records and Registration has received authorization from the appropriate school dean, department chair or program head.

Changes made through the add/drop period will apply toward the current semester. Changes made after the add/drop period are effective for the following fall or spring semester, and changes made during the summer session are effective for the following fall semester.

Declare your major

If you're an undeclared student who needs assistance in selecting a major or concentration, contact University Academic Advising to schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Health sciences programs

Students who wish to change to an undergraduate health sciences program must go through the admission process. Health Science Programs that require the admissions process are:

Students who wish to change to the BS in Health Services can do so using the Change of Major/Concentration Form.

Pre-professional programs 

Students interested in a pre-professional program may select one of these advising tracks in addition to their current major. Contact University Academic Advising to schedule an appointment with an advisor. 

Teacher preparation program

Students interested in the extended teacher preparation program should contact the School of Education’s Student Services Center. Advising tracks include:

Graduate, professional and nondegree-seeking students

Graduate and professional students who want to change to a different degree should submit an application and all required materials to the new program.

Nondegree-seeking students intending to enter a degree-seeking status must go through the admission process. 

Contact us

Have questions about changing your major or minor?

View graphic version