A student wearing a cloth face mask [View Image]
Masks are required at all indoor Recreational Sports facilities, including during exercise and using equipment. The only exception is while in the pool or showering.
Changes to Guidelines and Procedures
As part of the reopening process, members can expect some new things when visiting our facilities.
Read our Reopening Member Guide, which contains information about all changes, procedures, and guidelines.
In This Section
All students and members must reserve an entrance time. Only one reservation is needed per visit, which is good for a 30-minute entrance window. This 30-minute window is used for accessing the building only and covers your entire workout. Visit the MyRecSports portal to reserve your entrance time for Cary Street Gym or MCV Campus Recreation Center.
There will be strict capacity and registration limits and we will not be permitting walk-ins.
- All members must register, in advance, for a 30-minute time block for facility access using the MyRecSports member portal.
- Facility Access Times will be open 25 hours in advance and will require check-in at the front desk.
- Each time block represents your entry time, not your workout time.
- Register for one time block per visit.
- If participating in a group ex class, you only need to sign up for that class, not a facility entry time.
- Face masks are required in all indoor Recreational Sports facilities, including during exercise and equipment use. The only exception is while in the pool or showering.
- Bring a water bottle and shower towel if needed.
VCU Rec Sports has implemented enhanced cleaning procedures, such as cleaning high-touch surfaces every two hours, using electrostatic sprayers to disinfect surfaces, and closing early to disinfect the facility.
- We have provided additional cleaning resources for members including spray bottles and towels, wipes, and hand sanitizer.
- We have also reduced the need to contact high touch surfaces, through measures that include the following:
- Handkeys at the building entrances have removed so members now have a touch-free check-in process at the service desk.
- Seating areas have been eliminated or blocked off.
- Water stations are now handsfree only, pushbuttons have been disabled. Please bring your personal water bottle to use water stations.
VCU Rec Sports has created capacity limits and increased equipment spacing, per state guidelines.
- Cardio equipment has been spaced to allow 10 feet of physical distancing.
- Capacity limits have been established in areas where equipment can’t easily be moved to allow members to practice 10 feet of physical distancing.
- Group Exercise classes have been relocated and class capacities adjusted to accommodate 10 feet of physical distancing.
- Group workouts are not permitted.
VCU Rec Sports has implemented enhanced staff safety practices throughout our operations.
- Masks will be worn by front-facing service staff at all times.
- Staff will complete a health screening prior to each shift.
- Work stations have been spaced to allow for 6 feet of physical distancing.
- Plastic shields have been installed at member service locations.
VCU Rec Sports has developed the following policies to support capacity limits and exposure. For a full list of changes and updates, please visit the Member Reopening Guide.
- All members must register, a maximum of 25 hours in advance, for a 30 minute time block for facility entrance using the MyRecSports member portal.
- Guests will not be permitted until further notice.
- Membership renewal will be available to current members.
- VCU Rec Sports will only be selling/activating new memberships to Faculty/Staff, Non-Fee Students, and Affiliates until further notice.
- Equipment checkout and towel service have been temporarily suspended.
- Masks are required at all indoor Recreational Sports facilities, including during exercise and using equipment. The only exception is while in the pool or showering. Masks are not required in our outdoor spaces except when 10 feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained.
To reduce transmission of COVID-19 to yourself and others, members are asked to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Stay home if you’ve had a fever or other COVID-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
- Respect space capacity restrictions and practice proper physical distancing (10 feet in fitness centers).
- Disinfect equipment before and after use.
- Wear a mask at all times while inside of VCU Recreational Sports facilities.
- Bring a water bottle. Water stations are now hands-free and water bottles must be used.
- Respect time limits to workout sessions.
- Limit the use of locker rooms and day-use lockers.
- Wash your hands frequently.
VCU Recreational Sports will only be serving our existing membership and selling new memberships to faculty, staff, affiliates, and students. We will also be selling additional adult and additional minor memberships to that select group.
Guest Passes will be suspended until further notice.
For more information regarding your existing membership, billing, or cancellation, please visit the Membership Relief Page.
Due to the nature of infectious diseases like COVID-19, no physical environment is free of the risk of transmission. Our precautions are designed to mitigate, but cannot eliminate, this risk.