To provide students with educational experiences that facilitates the development of knowledge, skills and values necessary to practice as a licensed professional counselor and certified rehabilitation counselor.
To provide students with learning opportunities that foster culturally responsive and ethical counseling practices.
To provide students with clinical training environments that prepare them to work in a variety of counseling settings.
- Develop a well rounded education in rehabilitation and mental health counseling;
- Advance the basic philosophical tenets of rehabilitation, including the value and worth of all individuals, a belief in human dignity, and the right of all persons to fully participate in society.
- Exercise skills and competencies on a high ethical level and with personal integrity; and
- Acquire a comprehensive understanding of the personal, social, vocational, and psychological needs of persons with disabilities.
Student Learning Outcomes as approved by VCU, SCHEV
- Develop a professional counseling identity, and demonstrate ability to function ethically and effectively within settings that offer counseling, advocacy, and related services to diverse populations.
- Identify a range of counseling theories and skills applicable in a pluralistic society with individuals, groups, couples and families, and demonstrate the ability to apply this knowledge in a therapeutic manner to promote change and growth.
- Demonstrate respect for the impact of social and cultural factors on human behavior and the role of individual differences in establishing and working toward counseling objectives.
- Identify and apply the stages of development throughout the lifespan, including developmental goals, when working with individuals, regardless of disability or other impairing conditions.
- Identify and apply career development theory and tools.
- Use case management techniques and describe the range of community resources available.
- Use appropriate assessment techniques when working with individuals and utilize relevant information within the counseling process.
- Read and evaluate professional research literature and incorporate such information into their professional development.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective professional counselor through supervised practicum and Internship experiences.