The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation’s Research Development Team offers a comprehensive range of proposal development and grantsmanship services, including the identification of funding opportunities, proposal development support, large proposal project management, identification of collaborators, and grantsmanship training and workshops for individuals and groups.
Search for funders using databases or request assistance from our team.
Use researcher databases and explore VCU's institutes and centers.
Work with us to review your proposal and enhance your chances of getting funded.
With dedicated support, ensure you are on track for submitting large proposals.
Attend a grant writing professional development workshop or series.
Meet with our team to learn how we can advance your research funding portfolio.
Our services cover the full range of the grant life cycle, including identifying sponsors, building collaborative teams, supporting proposal development, providing training and working with funding agencies.
Project development support
- Identify current and relevant funding opportunities.
- Disseminate funding opportunities.
- Match funding opportunities with investigators.
Proposal development support
- Assist in interpreting funders’ guidelines.
- Assist with proposal planning and process management.
- Provide proposal development resources, including the funded proposal library.
- Assist with conceptualizing and building competitive budgets.
- Provide data on the university research enterprise and funding portfolio.
- Draft language and letters of support.
- Edit proposal drafts.
- Assist with proposal submission.
Tips for working with our team
- Contact our office early. We can assist even before you decide to pursue extramural funding to get you prepared for the process.
- Review the resources on our website first.
- Communicate with the grants development staff within your unit to understand local processes.
- Make a list of gaps in your knowledge about grantsmanship in general and/or at VCU.
- Send us a lay-language description of your project idea.
- If you are looking for funding, tell us about the types of sponsors you have considered in the past, if any.
- If you want to re-submit a proposal, please share the reviewers’ comments with us.
- Let us know who your partners and collaborators are/might be.
- Make us aware of any changes in the status of your project or proposal development.
Grant Academy is a grantsmanship program providing training and support for a select cohort of faculty investigators working with senior faculty, research development experts and research administrators, with the goal of submitting a successful funding proposal.