Got a spare 5 minutes to help us improve our website?
I'll do itNo thanks

Dining Accommodations

VCUDine has an extensive team of culinary experts and on-campus resources available to help accommodate most types of dietary restrictions, including soy, gluten, and dairy-free. We also have a registered dietitian on staff who is available for complimentary one-on-one consultations to help students plan for their individual needs. For more information please visit:, find the Eat Well drop-down menu, and select On-Campus Resources. 

VCU recognizes that some students who are required to have a dining plan may not be able to get their nutritional needs met on campus due to a medical condition. Students interested in dining accommodations, including a reduction or cancellation of their dining plan, may submit their request to The Office of Student Accessibility and Educational Opportunity (SAEO). Requests based on dietary preferences are not be considered for accommodation. To formally submit a request, a student must:

  1. Submit a completed version of SAEO's Intake Form and be sure to complete the section for "Dining Accommodations" under "Additional Accommodation Requests". 
  2. Submit documentation of the medical condition that supports the request. Appropriate documentation should meet the criteria set forth in the guidelines below.

The Dining Accommodation Request Committee will meet once per month to review requests. Following a committee meeting, students with pending requests will be contacted with a formal decision. In some cases, a referral to the campus registered dietitian may be required to further discuss dining options on campus and determine the most appropriate dining plan.  

Documentation Guidelines

Documentation supporting a Dining Accommodation must be provided by an appropriately licensed professional, on professional letterhead, typed (or clearly legible), dated, and signed. Documentation should include the following:

  1. Diagnosis of the disability/condition.
  2. A detailed description of the current functional impact of the condition or disability as it relates to the dining modification or accommodation requested.
  3. Recommendation from the professional explaining the need for the accommodation as it relates to the disability/condition.

For more information about VCUDine and on-campus dining options, contact  Erin Thornton at (804) 828-1883 or For questions about requesting dining accommodations, contact the office of Student Accessibility and Educational Opportunity at  (804) 828-2253 or

View graphic version