The basics

How many students are in the School of Social Work?

We offer three social work degrees — the B.S.W., M.S.W. and Ph.D. Each semester, we typically have 250 to 300 B.S.W. students, 400 to 500 M.S.W. students and 25 to 35 Ph.D. students at varying points of degree completion.

How diverse is your school and student body?

The student body at VCU and at the School of Social Work is diverse in many ways. Our students come with an incredible mix of backgrounds, life experiences and aspirations, all of which create enriching classroom and student community interactions.

What is the average size of your classes?

Classes average about 25 to 30 students per class. None of our social work courses are in large lecture-style classrooms.

I would like to find out more about specific course descriptions. Where would I find this information?

Search VCU Courses with the following selections:

  • Term: fall, spring, or summer
  • VCU unit: School of Social Work
  • Subject: Social Work
  • Course classification: Undergraduate
  • Check “Show course description” box


How do I apply? When can I begin the B.S.W. degree program at VCU?

Students may begin the B.S.W. degree program at VCU in either a fall or spring semester. In order to apply to VCU, please fill out the online application on the VCU Undergraduate Admissions website and choose social work as your desired major.

Does the School of Social Work have an honors program?

Yes. Students are able to apply to graduate with honors from the School of Social Work in the second semester of their junior year. For more information about this opportunity, please reach out to your student success adviser. Students who are interested in this program may also be interested in applying to the VCU Honors College.

What is the estimated cost to attend your program?

Tuition and fees fluctuate each academic year. For the most current cost, please visit the VCU Enrollment Services website. There you can find a handy Tuition and Fees Calculator. The total cost of attendance also varies depending on your residency status, choice of housing and lifestyle.

Should I wait until I have been admitted to apply for financial aid?

No. It is best for students to apply for financial aid as soon as possible. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is available on the Federal Student Aid website each January.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Please visit the VCU Office of Financial Aid website for the most up-to-date procedures and deadlines related to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and various other financial assistance programs and options. This website also has great planning tools such as “Financial Aid Programs at a Glance” and student budget planning worksheet.

I’d like to get a student perspective on your program. Can this be arranged?

The Peer Mentor Program is available through the Office of Student Success. All peer mentors have experience in the upper-level professional curriculum of the B.S.W. Program, so they are able to share their experiences from the program, as well as what has helped them be successful throughout their time at VCU. Students are matched with a peer mentor based on their specific interests in the social work field, which is captured through the online request form. For more information, email the Office of Student Success at sswinfo@vcu.edu.

I am a nontraditional student. Is this a good program for me?

The upper-level professional curriculum of the B.S.W. degree program requires a high degree of commitment from students. Courses in the upper level are typically offered only on Tuesday and Thursday from late morning to early evening, which can sometimes make it difficult for students to maintain a full-time job. None of the upper-level courses are currently offered in an online capacity.

Students are required to complete fieldwork during three semesters. Students are able to set their schedules with their field supervisor at their individual placements. However, there are very few field placements in which students can complete their internship work outside traditional office hours.

If admitted, what are some opportunities I might have to engage with other students?

Our Peer Mentor Program for B.S.W. students helps assist students throughout their development as professional social workers.

Our active student associations provide leadership development, educational workshops, advocacy, outreach in the local Richmond community and social opportunities to B.S.W. students.

The Office of Student Success facilitates numerous engagement opportunities and announcements through the Student Resource Wire, a weekly email newsletter during fall and spring semesters.

Transfer students

I took social work courses at another institution. Can I receive credit at VCU for these courses?

Social work courses from other institutions are reviewed on an individual basis. In order to have these specific credits reviewed, please contact your student success adviser.

Whom should I contact to find out more information about how my credits will transfer into the VCU social work program?

You should contact a B.S.W. student success adviser sswinfo@vcu.edu. They will be able to refer or provide resources for you to identify how your credits will transfer.

I anticipate completing at least two years of college at a local community college. How can I be intentional about my courses at community college?

The VCU School of Social Work currently has an articulation agreement with John Tyler Community College and Reynolds Community College that allows students to complete two years at a community college and then transfer into the VCU B.S.W. degree program with as few as two years (or four semesters) remaining before graduation. If John Tyler or Reynolds is not an option for you, contact the Office of Student Success at sswinfo@vcu.edu to get an understanding of the courses that we recommend students complete before applying to VCU.

What supports are available for transfer students at VCU?

The VCU Transfer Center is designed solely to support all transfer students who come to VCU, through processing transfer credits and offering specific programming to help with the transition. The VCU School of Social Work Office of Student Success also offers specific programming throughout the year designed specifically to help support transfer students.


How can I change my major into or out of social work?

Students may change their major to social work at the end of any semester if they meet the minimum GPA requirement of 2.5. Students may meet with Christina Pittman, a B.S.W. adviser, at any point in the semester in order to get an understanding of the social work curriculum and a projected course plan and timeline to graduation. A change of major form will be provided to the student at the end of the advising meeting, which the student can complete and return to Pittman prior to the end of the semester.

Can I have a double major or a minor in social work or another subject?

Students who choose a double major must meet the degree requirements of both majors. Students who are interested in pursuing a double major with social work should meet with one of the B.S.W. advisers and bring any advising or planning materials received from advising in the other department. The change of major form will be supplied during the advising meeting.

Students who choose to minor in any subject must meet the requirements set by the individual departments. The Undergraduate Bulletin has information about major and minor requirements.

The only minor that is offered through the School of Social Work is a minor in social welfare. Students who are interested in this minor should plan to meet with a B.S.W. student success adviser to discuss the requirements for completion of the minor. Change of minor forms will be supplied during the advising meeting.

What would current students say is the most difficult aspect of the B.S.W. degree program?

The upper-level professional curriculum of the B.S.W. degree program, which students normally begin in their junior year, is very writing intensive. Most students report that the higher expectations that accompany these classes, both in the workload and research required for papers, is very challenging compared to the other courses that were taken prior to beginning the upper-level curriculum. The VCU Writing Center also provides assistance to students with conceptualizing and structuring papers assigned for courses.

What should I expect from my required field experience in the B.S.W. degree program?

You can expect a varied set of experiences. During your field placement, you will complete fieldwork at community agencies, which will give you a better understanding of what it looks like to work with clients through their entire experience with that agency. You will complete a field application before the semester in which your field experience is planned and where you can express your specific interests within the social work profession. This helps guide the Office of Field Education toward finding a placement that matches your particular professional and career goals.

Student support

What support services are available to students?

The Office of Student Success assists students with financial, academic and/or emotional support from the application phase to graduation. For universitywide support services, refer to the annual resource guide provided by the university’s Division of Student Affairs.

How can I find out who my student success adviser is?

The B.S.W. Program has both upper-level and lower-level student success advisers. Contact the Office of Student Success at sswinfo@vcu.edu or call (804) 828-1030 for more information. 

I have a special learning need. Are there any supportive services available or exceptions to the structured curriculum?

The office of Student Accessibility and Education Opportunity will work with you to determine any necessary academic adjustment you require. You may also contact the Office of Student Success to discuss your particular situation.

Is there any help given to students who are applying for a job in social work?

Post-graduation opportunities such as fellowships, graduate school options and jobs are shared with students via email, Facebook, LinkedIn and VCU Handshake. The Office of Student Success also posts announcements in the Student Success Center and hosts various workshops each semester. In addition, students are encouraged to use the services of VCU Career Services, which is located in the University Student Commons.

Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Social Work
Academic Learning Commons
1000 Floyd Avenue, Third Floor
Box 842027
Richmond, Virginia 23284-2027

Phone: (804) 828-1030
Fax: (804) 828-0716
Email: sswinfo@vcu.edu
Updated: Edit

Text version

Privacy | Accessibility | Webmaster

Created by VCU University Relations

View graphic version