A volunteer reading specialist reads to a group of elementary school students at a public event. [View Image]
The Post-master’s Certificate for Reading Specialist is designed for students who wish to gain state licensure as a reading specialist in kindergarten through high school settings.
Among other competencies, the program provides students with the skills needed to understand the reading language learning process, apply and adapt reading instructional strategies and to implement schoolwide developmental, creative and intervention reading programs.
The Post-master’s Certificate for Reading Specialist requires a minimum of 24 total graduate credit hours:
Please keep in mind, however, that the exact course requirements may vary depending on when you matriculated into the program, so please consult your adviser or the program coordinator with any additional questions.
CONCENTRATION/VCU BULLETIN INFO
How to apply: Graduate application
Semester of entry: Spring, summer or fall
Application deadline: Feb. 1 for fall and summer admission; Oct. 1 for spring admission. Extended deadline for summer and fall 2021: April 1.
Late applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Application checklist [PDF]
- General admission requirements of the VCU Graduate School
- Master’s degree in any specialty area related to education
- Must have an active renewable teaching license
- Have at least three years of successful classroom teaching experience in which the teaching of reading was an important responsibility
- Statement of intent
- Three letters of recommendation addressing the student's potential for graduate study in education
- Transcripts of all previous college work
- Note: As of spring 2020, we no longer require the GRE or MAT for admission
FOR MORE IN-DEPTH INFO
The School of Education (SOE) degree programs that lead to professional licensure are designed to prepare students to meet the requirements for professional licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia as outlined by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The SOE has determined that the curriculum includes applicable educational prerequisites for the following professional licensure(s) and/or certification(s) as outlined on this page of our website.