- School of Education
- Full Directory
Philip B. Gnilka, Ph.D.
Associate professor, Counseling and Special EducationPhilip B. Gnilka, Ph.D. [View Image]
- Ph.D. in counselor education and practice, Georgia State University
- M.A. in counseling, Wake Forest University
- B.A. in economics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Perfectionism, stress, coping, wellness
- Received the 2016 American Counseling Association Research Award
- Received the 2015 Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling Patricia B. Elmore Award for Outstanding Research in Measurement and Evaluation
- Elected as the member-at-large for Membership for the Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling, a division of the American Counseling Association
- Fye, H.J., Gnilka, P.B., & McLaulin, S.E. (2018). Perfectionism and School Counselors: Differences in Stress, Coping, and Burnout. Journal of Counseling & Development. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcad.12218
- Gnilka, P., Ashby, J., Rice, K., & Moate, R. (2016). Adult attachment, multidimensional perfectionism, and the alliances among counselor supervisees. Journal of Counseling and Development, 94, 285-296.
- Moate, R., Gnilka, P., West, E., & Bruns, K. (2016). Stress and burnout among counselor educators: Differences between adaptive perfectionists, maladaptive perfectionists, and nonperfectionists. Journal of Counseling and Development, 94, 161-171.
- Novakovic, A., & Gnilka, P. (2015). Dispositional affect and career barriers: The moderating roles of gender and coping. Career Development Quarterly, 63, 363-375.
- Gnilka, P., Karpinski, A., & Smith, H. (2015). Factor structure of the Counselor Burnout Inventory in a sample of professional school counselors. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 48, 177-191.
Dr. Philip B. Gnilka is currently an associate professor of counselor education at Virginia Commonwealth University. His main research interests focus on stress, coping and perfectionism. His clinical experience has primarily been in community mental health centers and college counseling centers.
He currently is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Georgia, a Nationally Certified Counselor and a Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor.