- School of Education
- Full Directory
Luciana C. de Oliveira, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic AffairsLuciana C. de Oliveira, Ph.D. [View Image]
- Ph.D. in education, University of California, Davis
- M.A. in English, TESOL option (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), California State University, East Bay
- B.A. in languages: English and Portuguese, minor in German, Universidade Estadual Paulista (São Paulo State University - UNESP)
- Teaching credentials, English and Portuguese: secondary, Universidade Estadual Paulista (São Paulo State University - UNESP)
Issues related to teaching emergent to advanced bilinguals (EABs) at the K-12 level, including the role of language in learning the content areas and teacher education, advocacy and social justice; examining scaffolding in elementary classrooms.
- Awards: Mid-Career Award (Second Language Research) and Early Career Award (Bilingual Education Research), American Educational Research Association (AERA) (2017 and 2012); David E. Eskey Award for Curriculum Innovation by California TESOL (2011); Faculty Engagement Scholarship Award (2013), Purdue University.
- Areas of specialization: Emergent to advanced bilingual students (EABs), content area literacies, second language writing, discourse analysis methodologies, systemic-functional linguistics, qualitative research, teacher education.
- Teaching: 27 years of teaching experience in K-12, higher education, and foreign language contexts with culturally and linguistically diverse groups.
- Leadership and Engagement: Work with public schools, volunteer and elected positions at different professional organizations, including the TESOL International Association, NYS TESOL, INTESOL, and CATESOL.
- President-Elect (2017-2018), President (2018-2019), Past President (2019-2020), TESOL International Association.
- Member of ELL advisory council for iCivics, the educational non-profit founded by retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor and now led by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
- de Oliveira, L.C., Menda, A.M., & Vicentini, C.R. (Eds). (2021). English language teaching methods, approaches, and lessons. Information Age Publishing (part of the University of Miami School of Education and Human Development Series). [This book is based on the UM PDPI project and includes chapters from presenters and participating Brazilian teachers]
- de Oliveira, L.C. (Ed). (2019). The Handbook of TESOL in K-12. Croydon, UK: Wiley.
- de Oliveira, L.C., Obenchain, K., Kenney, R., & Oliveira, A. (Eds) (2019). Teaching the content areas to English language learners in secondary schools: English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies. New York: Springer.
Refereed journal articles
- de Oliveira, L.C., & Jones, L. (in press, 2021). Dialogic teaching through interactional scaffolding in practice with multilingual learners in the middle years. Literacy Learning: the Middle Years.
- de Oliveira, L.C. (in press, 2021). The intersections of culturally sustaining pedagogies and systemic functional linguistics: Affordances for the education of multilingual learners. Language and Education.
- de Oliveira, L.C., Jones, L., & Smith, S.L. (in press, 2021). A language-based approach to content instruction (LACI) for multilingual learners: Six Cs of scaffolding in first grade. Journal of Language, Identity, and Education.
- de Oliveira, L.C. (2020). Planning and application using a language-based approach to content instruction (LACI) in multilingual classrooms. MinneTESOL Journal, 36(2). Retrieved from http://minnetesoljournal.org/current-issue/invited-article/planning-and-application-using-a-language-based-approach-to-content-instruction-laci-in-multilingual-classrooms/?fbclid=IwAR1chX8r2gQTqeiQrEpndlZe3kaGMYVopUisDFstJGHFeHoG1yeom5-87r0
- de Oliveira, L.C., Jones, L., & Smith, S. L. (2020). Interactional scaffolding in a first-grade classroom through the teaching/learning cycle. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. DOI: 10.1080/13670050.2020.1798867.
- de Oliveira, L.C. (2020). The potential of second language writing in higher education: Expectations for graduate students. NYS TESOL Journal, 7(2), 3-6.
- de Oliveira, L.C., & Smith, S.L. (2019). Systemic functional linguistics in teacher education. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Education. Retrieved from https://oxfordre.com/education/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.001.0001/acrefore-9780190264093-e-494. DOI:10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.013.494
Dr. Luciana C. de Oliveira has over 25 years of teaching experience in the field of TESOL and was an elected board member for the TESOL International Association (2013-2016) before being elected president. Dr. de Oliveira served in the presidential line of TESOL (2017-2020) of TESOL International Association. She was the first Latina to ever serve as President (2018-2019) of TESOL.
Dr. de Oliveira has authored, co-authored, edited, or co-edited 24 books and has several others under contract and has over 200 publications in various outlets, including refereed journal articles and book chapters. Among many awards and honors, she was the recipient of the Mid-Career Award (2017) by the Second Language Research special interest group and the Early Career Award (2012) by the Bilingual Education Research special interest group of AERA.