- School of Education
- Full Directory
Luciana C. de Oliveira, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic AffairsLuciana C. de Oliveira, Ph.D. [View Image]
- Ph.D. in education, University of California, Davis
- M.A. in English, TESOL option (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), California State University, East Bay
- B.A. in languages: English and Portuguese, minor in German, Universidade Estadual Paulista (São Paulo State University - UNESP)
- Teaching credentials, English and Portuguese: secondary, Universidade Estadual Paulista (São Paulo State University - UNESP)
Issues related to teaching emergent to advanced bilinguals (EABs) at the K-12 level, including the role of language in learning the content areas and teacher education, advocacy and social justice; examining scaffolding in elementary classrooms.
- Awards: Mid-Career Award (Second Language Research) and Early Career Award (Bilingual Education Research), American Educational Research Association (AERA) (2017 and 2012); David E. Eskey Award for Curriculum Innovation by California TESOL (2011); Faculty Engagement Scholarship Award (2013), Purdue University.
- Areas of specialization: Emergent to advanced bilingual students (EABs), content area literacies, second language writing, discourse analysis methodologies, systemic-functional linguistics, qualitative research, teacher education.
- Teaching: 27 years of teaching experience in K-12, higher education, and foreign language contexts with culturally and linguistically diverse groups.
- Leadership and Engagement: Work with public schools, volunteer and elected positions at different professional organizations, including the TESOL International Association, NYS TESOL, INTESOL, and CATESOL.
- President-Elect (2017-2018), President (2018-2019), Past President (2019-2020), TESOL International Association.
- Member of ELL advisory council for iCivics, the educational non-profit founded by retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor and now led by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
Refereed journal articles
- de Oliveira, L.C., Jones, L., & Smith, S.L. (in press). Scaffolding for meaningful interactions in a first-grade classroom through the teaching/learning cycle. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism.
- de Oliveira, L.C., & Smith, S.L. (2019). Systemic functional linguistics in teacher education. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Education. Retrieved from https://oxfordre.com/education/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.001.0001/acrefore9780190264093-e-494. DOI:10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.013.494
- Lan, S.-W., & de Oliveira, L.C. (2019) English language learners’ participation in the discourse of a multilingual science classroom. International Journal of Science Education, 41(9), 12461270. DOI: 10.1080/09500693.2019.1607618
- Jones, L., Smith, S.L., & de Oliveira, L.C. (2018). Deconstructing texts in English language arts: A pedagogical approach using systemic functional linguistics. Sunshine State TESOL Journal, 12(1), 41-47.
- Ramírez, A., Sembiante, S., & de Oliveira, L.C. (2018). Translated science textbooks in dual language programs: A comparative English-Spanish functional linguistic analysis. Bilingual Research Journal. DOI: 10.1080/15235882.2018.1494061
Dr. Luciana C. de Oliveira has over 20 years of teaching experience in the field of TESOL and was an elected board member for the TESOL International Association (2013-2016) before being elected president. Dr. de Oliveira is currently past president (2019-2020) of TESOL International Association. She was the first Latina to ever serve as president (2018-2019) of TESOL.
Dr. de Oliveira has authored, co-authored, edited, or co-edited 24 books and has several others under contract or in review and has over 200 publications in various outlets, including refereed journal articles and book chapters. Among many awards and honors, she was the recipient of the Mid-Career Award (2017) by the Second Language Research special interest group and the Early Career Award (2012) by the Bilingual Education Research special interest group of AERA.