Safety and Risk Management offers online and instructor-led safety training for workplace and research/clinical studies areas.
On-line safety training is available in two different applications: BioRAFT and Blackboard.
- BioRAFT is VCU's central hub for laboratory safety and compliance. For people working in labs or supporting research activities, it is the first place to go to complete training. Blackboard is the second place to go to complete training for courses that have not yet transitioned to BioRAFT.
- Blackboard on-line training is primarily for employees not working in labs or supporting research activities AND / OR for students whose professor designates specific course as part of the student's curriculum. Blackboard offers generalized training intended to supplement, not replace, task-specific training.
Provided by SRM content subject-matter-experts, instructor-led training is customized to specific work area hazards or needs.
Available topics include:
- Back safety/proper lifting
- Bloodborne pathogen (for non-laboratory and non-medical employees)
- Confined space entry awareness
- Control of hazardous energy (lock out/tag out)
- Electrical safety
- Fall protection
- Fire extinguisher
- Fire safety and prevention
- Hand and power tool safety
- Ladder safety
- Machine guarding
- Occupational heat exposure
- Occupational noise exposure
- Personal protective equipment
- Powered industrial trucks (forklift)
- Slips, trips and fall prevention
- Spill control, containment and countermeasures