Nondegree-seeking students

Nondegree-seeking students may register for up to 11 credit hours at Virginia Commonwealth University during Summer Studies. Read more about nondegree-seeking admissions.

Students currently seeking a baccalaureate degree at another college or university can register as a transient student if they:

  • Are in good standing with their home institution.
  • Obtain approval from their home institution. Students should check with their advisor at their current school before registering for classes.

How to register

VCU is now accepting online applications from nondegree-seeking students for the Summer 2020 semester. Apply online.

Nondegree-seeking students can also apply in person at Records and Registration. Questions about this process can be sent to

Please bring a picture ID and the following:

Once enrolled, students can register for classes through eServices. Information on enrollment changes, overrides, course load and advising is on the Registration page. 


Summer-only students, or those who plan to complete degrees elsewhere, are encouraged but not required to see an advisor. To schedule an appointment, call University Academic Advising at (804) 827-8648.


Unofficial transcripts are available through eServices. To request an official transcript, visit Records and Registration or call (804) 828-1349.