Peer Health EducationApply for Fall 2020!
The Peer Health Education (PHE) program at VCU is supported by The Well and VCU University Counseling Advocacy Services.
Members in the PHE program provide all students at VCU with quality, well-informed, peer led education on relevant health issues impacting student well-being. All students within the PHE program work to:
- Create an atmosphere of safety and learning to address current health topics.
- Stay up-to-date on current research and trends in health promotion and wellbeing.
- Encourage open, respectful dialogue.
- Develop strong partnerships with other student organizations.
- Empower students to explore personal identity.
- Connect students to existing resources to support their success.
- Maintain trusting, non-judgmental relationships to support student-driven behavior change.
- Design educational and outreach programs that are inclusive and accessible for all students, and reflect the unique needs of VCU students.
To be considered for a position in the PHE program, a student must meet the following requirements and maintain good standing as a VCU student. PHEs are expected to:
- Commit at least two full semesters to the program.
- Continually be working to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Attend all training sessions.
- Complete the training and pass the exam to become nationally certified through NASPA CPE program.
- Participate fully in all group meetings and events.
- Take an active role in the planning and implementation of health education programming throughout each semester.
- Engage in continuing education to stay up-to-date on emerging health topics and trends.
- Commit to high ethical standards regarding boundaries, privacy, and personal conduct.
Peer Health Educators
Our Peer Health Educators are a diverse group of student leaders who provide quality, well-informed, peer-led education on relevant health issues impacting student well-being.
All PHEs at VCU have a national certification as a Certified Peer Educator (CPE), with additional training in four of our main content areas.
- Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Mental Health
- Sexual Health
- Violence Prevention
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.