Course equivalencies

Use our course equivalency tables to check if courses you’ve completed at other institutions will transfer to Virginia Commonwealth University.

This resource only reflects course equivalencies and is intended solely for reference purposes. You must be enrolled at VCU before we can officially evaluate your transcript. See our Undergraduate Bulletin for specific degree requirements of your intended major and core curriculum requirementsPlease note that credit amounts on the course equivalency table are rounded to the nearest whole number. If your institution operates on a different calendar system (like quarters or units), then these credit hours may vary. For example, a 4-quarter credit course is equivalent to 2.667 semester credits. So it would appear below as 3 credits.

If your current institution is not listed or you need advising assistance, contact the Transfer Center at (804) 827-1349 or

Other credits

The Transfer Center evaluates credits earned from nontraditional higher education sources including:

  • College credits earned in high school: If you have dual-enrollment, AP, IB or Cambridge exam credits, visit our high school credit transfers page for more information about transferability.
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP): Students who’ve gained knowledge outside the classroom can receive college credit through a series of exams. Current VCU students can take CLEP tests through the VCU Testing Center for a fee. Incoming students who’ve taken CLEP tests prior to enrolling at VCU must request a CLEP transcript from the College Board.
  • Study Abroad and International Universities: Credits from study abroad programs and international universities can be transferred to VCU. Please check the Global Education Office’s course equivalents spreadsheet. For questions regarding education abroad credits, please contact

See the VCU Bulletin for a full list of academic credit sources.