- Technology Services
- Research Math Science
- UNIX for Researchers at VCU
- Changing Your Unix Password
Changing Your Unix Password
- Your Unix password is your key to the Unix research servers.
- Your Unix password on Koti is not the same as your eID password. For security reasons, Technology Services highly recommends that you do not reuse your eID password as your Koti password.
Protect your password from unauthorized use as you would a
credit card or any other identification number!
- Suggestions for creating a STRONG password.
- If you suspect someone has gained access to your account.
Changing your Unix Account Password
- Log into your account on the machine where you wish to change your password.
- At the "%" (the Unix command prompt), type "passwd" to start the process.
- Follow the prompts for your old password and new password.
- You will be prompted twice for your new password.
If you don't remember your Unix password:
This article was updated: 04/27/2020