Top Hat Student Response System
Top Hat is a student engagement tool that allows instructors to conduct polls, track attendance, and create digital assessments that integrates with VCU’s Canvas learning management system. Unlike previous student response systems, sometimes known as “clickers”, Top Hat allows students to utilize their mobile device, tablet, laptop, and even SMS to respond to polls, although some features such as proctored exams require a laptop computer running the Google Chrome web browser.
Faculty - Getting Started with Top Hat
- Instructors who need a student account (for themselves), please email email@example.com for assistance.
Faculty - Managing Access to Your Top Hat Course
VCU now uses the Canvas learning management system and Top Hat has been added as an LTI integration. To allow Top Hat to sync with Canvas, instructors need to add the tool to each Canvas course they use with Top Hat. Follow these instructions to use Top Hat with your Canvas course to sync grades: https://support.tophat.com/s/article/Professor-LTI-Setup-Canvas
Student Accounts and Subscriptions
- Create an account with Top Hat - IMPORTANT! If you already have a Top Hat account from another school, you need to merge your existing account with a new VCU account to avoid additional subscription fees.
- To merge accounts, click this link, then scroll down the page to the section " If you have previously created a Top Hat account..."
- Follow the instructions for VCU account merging. (or you may contact Top Hat Support for assistance).
- Purchase a Top Hat subscription.
- Renew a Top Hat subscription. Purchase a new subscription using your existing Top Hat account.
- Extend a subscription from a previous semester.
- Activate an expired subscription.
Get Started with Top Hat
- Request a Top Hat Consultation - On Top Hat's VCU page, scroll down to the contact information for our representative. Email or call our representative to request a consultation. Individual or group consultations will be provided face-to-face or online. (Please note that face-to-face, on-site consultations will need to be scheduled in advance to accomodate our representative's long distance travel to/from VCU.)
- Request assistance through the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.
- For questions or issues with your Top Hat account, subscription or payments - contact Top Hat.
- For all other questions contact the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.