Skip to Content
ALERT: VCU faculty can find assistance in professional and curriculum development here.

Complaint Procedures

/* */

[View Image]


VCU’s Student Code of Conduct Policy stipulates that the term “student” includes all persons taking courses through VCU, either full-time or part-time, online or in-person, single or dual enrolled, pursuing undergraduate, graduate or professional studies.

Students who have a complaint related to an online course or online program should take the following steps.

  1. Based on the nature of the complaint, follow the student complaint resolution processes located in the VCU Policy Library.
  2. SCHEV retains oversight to coordinate the resolution of complaints from students enrolled under the auspices of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). For complaints against the university or its officials that remain unresolved after following all applicable university processes, students may contact the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) at (804) 371-2285 or you may follow the SCHEV student complaint process. Please note that complaints about grades or conduct may not be appealed to SCHEV.


If you live outside of Virginia, please follow the complaint resolution process detailed in step 1 and step 2 above. Additionally, you may file a complaint by using the out-of-state complaint information.


Students residing outside of Virginia in non-SARA member states or territories (listed below) may file a formal complaint with their home state authorizing agency after exhausting internal avenues by using the information below:


The California complaint procedures are available on the Department of Consumer Affairs website. Students may contact them at (833) 942-1120 or


The following U.S. territories are not participating in NC-SARA: American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, and Palau. If you are located in one of these U.S. territories, you may use the out-of-state complaint information to file a complaint.

View graphic versionView graphic version