This is the preliminary (or launch) version of the 2021-2022 VCU Bulletin. This edition includes all programs and courses approved by the publication deadline; however we may receive notification of additional program approvals after the launch. The final edition and full PDF version will include these updates and will be available in August prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
The mission of the Art Foundation Program is to provide an intellectually rigorous, studio-based experience in the fundamental issues of art and design while providing a platform for students to explore and discover. The program seeks to develop in its students an enthusiasm for their work, a means to reflect analytically and an ability to cultivate skills that will serve throughout their education. The Art Foundation Program seeks to establish connections between programs in art and design and to participate in a larger forum of ideas and concepts relevant to all of the disciplines.
Completion of the Art Foundation Program is a prerequisite for entry into all fine art and design departments: Art Education, Communication Arts, Craft and Material Studies, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Kinetic Imaging, Painting and Printmaking, Photography and Film, and Sculpture and Extended Media.
After successfully completing all components of the major declaration process, completing all course requirements and achieving the minimum department grade point average students progress to their choice of major department.
Transfer students in art and design are also required to complete the Art Foundation Program but may be awarded transfer credits on a case-by-case basis.
Upon completing this program, students will know and know how to do the following:
- Students will acquire and apply knowledge of fundamental art and design techniques, concepts and approaches within their studio work.
- Students will be introduced to contemporary art and design concepts and begin to apply them in their studio work.
- Students will develop critique skills by engaging in constructive critical discourse.
- Students will develop an awareness of professional opportunities and resources within the university and the external arts community.
- Students will develop a body of studio course work submitted for assessment.