Skip to content




As an incoming transfer student, you should review course equivalencies for all courses in which you earned a C or higher.  


If you earned Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge examination credit during high school, you’ll need to submit your exam scores to the VCU Transfer Center.

AP scores must come directly from The College Board and IB scores should come directly from the International Baccalaureate office.  

Incoming students who’ve taken CLEP tests prior to enrolling at VCU must request a CLEP transcript from the College Board. Current VCU students can take CLEP tests through the VCU Testing Center for a fee. 

If you're a current VCU student and would like to take a course at another institution, you must get prior approval by filling out the Request to Take Courses at Another Institution.

Refer to the course equivalency table to determine transfer equivalents. Always consult with your advisor prior to taking a course at another institution.

Use our course equivalency tables to check if courses you’ve completed at other institutions will transfer to VCU. Complete the college transcript request form and give it to the registrar(s) of your current and/or former institution(s). VCU requires official transcripts from each college or university you attended.



Registration dates for the upcoming semester are posted on the Records and Registration website.

Summer Studies offers a comprehensive list of courses every summer.

All add, drop and withdrawal deadlines are listed on the student academic calendars.   

Dropping a course is usually only an option during the first week of classes. Upon successfully dropping a course, you will not be required to pay for the course or you will be issued a refund.

After the first week of classes, the only option to get out of a class is via course withdrawal. Tuition refunds are prorated based on withdrawal date.

After the last day to withdraw and before the end of the semester, students may request a medical withdrawal. Upper-division students should take supporting medical documentation to their dean’s office for approval. First-year students who are advised in Hibbs Hall should bring their medical withdrawal form to their University Academic Advising advisor.

If approved, the dean’s office will forward the documentation to Records and Registration for processing.

If the semester has already ended, students will have to appeal to the Academic Regulations Appeals Committee (ARAC) for a medical withdrawal. Talk to your major advisor for more information about ARAC.

Time conflict — There is an overlap in class meeting times.

Program/college/major/attribute restriction — The student is not in the appropriate program/college/major or does not have the appropriate attribute. 

Duplicate course with section — The student registered for the same course but in a different section.

Course prerequisite(s) not satisfied — The student did not successfully complete required courses in order to register for this course. 

Closed section — There are no seats available due to class size.

Maximum hours exceeded — The student cannot register for more credits due to academic warning or probation, or has exceeding 19 credits while in good academic standing.

Academic standing prohibits registration — The student was suspended in a previous semester and has been readmitted, but an update from Records and Registration is still required.

Log into eServices and select “Student records” to view any holds on your account. To remove the hold, contact the unit listed next to the hold type.

Your class registration, ability to withdraw and transcript access may be limited depending on the type of hold on your account.



Financial aid


To be eligible to receive financial aid at VCU, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress

Students may submit an appeal if mitigating circumstances prevented them from achieving SAP. If the appeal is granted, students will be assigned probation status and will be eligible to receive federal financial aid for one semester.

Students who fail to meet the established SAP requirements at the end of the semester will be placed on an academic plan with set deadlines, which must be met in order to receive federal financial aid for future semesters.

VCU offers universitywide scholarships as well as school/college/department-based scholarships. There are also numerous scholarships offered by sources outside of VCU. Visit our scholarship page for more information.

Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be selected by the Department of Education for review. This means your financial aid package will not be processed until you provide the information the federal government is requesting. You will need to complete a verification worksheet so VCU can continue processing your aid application.

Real-world experience


Academic standing


Full-time and part-time degree-seeking students are classified by credit hours earned as follows:




1 to 23 credit hours


24 to 53 credit hours


54 to 84 credit hours


85 credit hours and more

Students are placed on academic warning when their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 at the conclusion of any semester — fall, spring or summer. Notification of warning appears on the student’s academic record.

Degree-seeking students on academic warning may not enroll in more than 14 credits per semester except under unusual circumstances and with the permission of the dean or designee of their school or college.

Students remain on academic warning for one semester of attendance, at the end of which they must obtain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Failure to achieve this GPA results in academic probation.

First and foremost, don’t do anything else until you talk to your academic advisor! If you are on probation, it is critically important that you see your advisor and fully understand the ramifications of being on probation.

Students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two successive semesters of attendance, including summer sessions. Notification of probation appears on the student’s academic record.

Degree-seeking students on academic probation may not enroll in more than 13 credits per semester. Students on academic probation are expected to improve their cumulative GPA by achieving a semester GPA of 2.0 or better during each semester of attendance.

Students who achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 are removed from academic probation. Failure to achieve a 2.0 semester GPA while on probation results in academic suspension.


Students are placed on academic suspension when their cumulative GPA is below 2.0 for two successive semesters and the following semester GPA falls below 2.0. A student on a first academic suspension may not enroll at the university for two consecutive semesters, including the summer session.

Courses taken at another institution while the student is under academic suspension from VCU are considered for readmission, but the coursework is not used to increase the VCU cumulative GPA. If the student is readmitted, the coursework will be evaluated according to regular procedures.

Students may apply for readmission to VCU for the semester following completion of the suspension period. Students readmitted after suspension enroll under the academic probation status.

If a student readmitted after suspension fails to obtain a semester GPA of 2.0 in any semester before achieving a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, the student is placed on a five-year suspension. The student may be considered for readmission after a minimum five-year separation from VCU.


Because some programs do not allow students to repeat courses, students planning to do so must first consult with their advisor.

The semester credits attempted and the grade points earned for all attempts are included in computing the cumulative GPA. No matter how often a course is repeated, it may be counted only once toward graduation.

Students who repeat a course in which a D or F was earned on the first attempt can file the Historical Repeat Course Option Form at any time prior to receiving their undergraduate degree. This form must be filed before the last week of classes in any semester so the cumulative GPA can be adjusted. The grade is not excluded until the request is made.

If a student receivies more than one D or F in the same or equivalent course, only one of these grades will be excluded from the cumulative GPA computation.

 View graphic versionView graphic version