May 2021 Commencement
VCUarts hosted an in-person and livestreamed ceremony honoring all 2020 and May 2021 graduates from the School of the Arts.
Saturday, May 15
6 North Laurel Street
Richmond, Virginia 23220
10 a.m. EDT
Departments of Communication Arts, Cinema, Dance + Choreography, Kinetic Imaging, Music, Photography + Film, and Theatre
2 p.m. EDT
Departments of Art Education, Art History, Craft/Material Studies, Fashion Design + Merchandising, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Sculpture + Extended Media, and Painting + Printmaking
Programs will be mailed to May 2021 graduates after the in-person celebration, due to COVID-19 restrictions.
A professional photographer was present at commencement to photograph graduates as they crossed the stage. A proof of this photo and information about purchasing will be sent to the email address provided on the reader form that graduates filled out upon arrival.
Senior spotlightsRead more
Senior spotlight: Donald Petties, Interior Design
Senior spotlight: Nick Soroka, Craft/Material Studies
Senior spotlight: Alex Mihalski, Craft/Material Studies
Previous commencement speakers:
- Sophia Li (BA ’13) – December 2019
- Elizabeth Turk – May 2019
- Jason Butler Harner (BFA ’92) – Dec. 2018
- Bobby C. Martin Jr. (BFA ’99) – May 2018
- Ashley Hawkins (BFA ’07) – Dec. 2017
- Michael Hearst (BM ’95) – May 2017
- Noah Scalin – Dec. 2016
- Jarvis Jefferson (BFA ’82) – May 2016
- John Paolini (MFA ’93) – Dec. 2015
- Anne Holton – May 2015
- Eric Booth – Dec. 2014
- Andy Stefanovich – May 2014
- Stephen Nachmanovitch – Dec. 2013
- Teresita Fernández (MFA ’92) – May 2013
- Elizabeth King – Dec. 2012
Resources for recent alumni
VCUarts alumni have access to career services, Adobe software discounts and more.