The Black Education Association, or BEA, is a community of scholars at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) committed to advancing institutional equity and diversity through education, research and administrative efforts. Specifically, the BEA seeks to maximize the scholarly contributions and professional experiences of Black faculty and administrators by:
- Monitoring and serving as a resource for information on the status of Blacks on campus and in the community;
- Serving as an advocate for Black students, faculty and administrators at VCU and in higher education in general;assisting in the recruitment of Black faculty, administrators, and students at VCU;
- Providing an avenue for professional development of Black faculty and administrators;
- Facilitating Black faculty participation in the formulation of policy and decision-making processes of the University;developing and supporting programs relevant to Black experiences in order to enhance cultural awareness within the University community;
- Bridging the gap between VCU and the African American community; and
- Establishing and maintaining a communication network among Black students, faculty and administrators.