VCU offers a self-managed graduate application process that can be completed online. Details are available on the Graduate School website.
Completion of the application process also requires the submission of the following documents:
- Official transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work sent directly from college or university registrars to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Prospective students who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official WES or ECE external credential evaluation as a required part of the admissions process. This report should be sealed and unopened, and sent directly to the Office of Admissions. [Must have earned minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale]
- Letters of recommendation from three present or former teachers or others believed by the applicant to be qualified to evaluate fitness to engage in graduate study for the degree in the field of choice
- A personal letter from the applicant summarizing motivation, education and aims in pursuing graduate study
- Scores for the verbal, quantitative and analytical portions of the Graduate Record Examination (Scores are required for all applicants and recommended for M.D./Ph.D. applicants. Advanced or subject tests are not required.)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language scores for international applicants for whom English is not the native language (The current minimum TOEFL score is 600 paper/100 internet-based.). Students also may take the International English Language Testing System test. The recommended minimum IELTS scores is 6.5 (academic band score).
Acceptance of an applicant is based upon the recommendation of the admissions committee with approval of the program chair and the associate dean for graduate studies.