The Department of Chemistry has adopted the following goals for all students earning a BS degree in Chemistry.
Students will demonstrate:
- proficiency in the major concepts and theoretical principles of chemistry, especially the relationship between molecular structure and function.
- critical thinking and problem solving skill, such as the ability to perform calculations necessary to describe and model common chemical phenomena.
- proficiency in laboratory-based techniques using state-of-the-art instrumentation.
- proficiency in proper procedures and regulations for safe handling and use of chemicals.
- communications skills, both written and oral, needed to explain chemical phenomena.
- scientific literacy skills including searching, reading, and critically reviewing, scientific publications.
- proficiency in information processing by generating and interpreting data presented in tables, graphs, drawings, and models.
- An understanding of the need for ethical practices in chemistry and an awareness of the practice of chemistry and the issues facing chemists and society.
Department of Chemistry Curriculum Map