Facts and Rankings
Located on Virginia Commonwealth University’s MCV Campus in Richmond, and in partnership with the VCU Health System, the Office of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences oversees the five health sciences schools (Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy) as well as the Massey Cancer Center. Areas of responsibility include academic affairs, academic and research space management, financial and administrative affairs, and Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Care.
More than 4,100 students each year participate in more than 50 degree programs offered at the undergraduate, graduate and first-professional levels as well post-baccalaureate and post-master’s certificate programs.
As a growing academic health sciences center, VCU Health Sciences maintains an aggressive research portfolio. Total research awards amounted to approximately $161 million in fiscal year 2019, which represented approximately 52 percent of the university’s total research awards.
- US News & World Report ranked #1 Nursing-Anesthesia Program (2020-2021)
- US News & World Report ranked #4 Rehabilitation Counseling Program (2020-2021)
- US News & World Report ranked #5 Health Administration Program (2020-2021)
- NIH Awarded the School of Dentistry over $3 million
- Provided care for more than 1,000 patients at the Give Kids a Smile event
- Multiple faculty members featured in media outlets, including The New York Times, Virginia Living, and Prevention Magazine
- US News & World Report ranked #48 for Best Medical Schools for Research (2020-2021)
- US News & World Report ranked #29 for Best Medical Schools for Primary Care (2020-2021)
- Faculty awarded research grants to increase studies in brain injuries for veterans
- US News & World Report ranked #41 Overall for Best School of Nursing (2020-2021)
- US News & World Report ranked #33 for Best Nursing Schools for our Master’s Degree program (2020-2021)
- US News & World Report ranked #37 for Best Nursing Schools for our Doctor of Nursing Practice program (2020-2021)
- US News & World Report ranked #17 Overall for Best School of Pharmacy (2020-2021)
- VCU School of Pharmacy will welcome its newly approved PhD in Pharmaceutical Engineering for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Filed 34 patents, including 22 with Pharmacy faculty member as the primary inventor
Learn more about VCU's rankings.