Richmond Exchange for Woman's Work [card]
The Exchange for Woman’s Work, founded in 1883, was part of the Woman’s Exchange movement started in Philadelphia in 1832. Exchanges were popular places for women in hardship to sell goods on consignment without working publicly, a social taboo at the time.
Some Exchanges still operate, and while the Richmond Exchange closed in 1955, it launched several female-owned businesses including Sally Bell’s Kitchen, still in business. Its founders—Elizabeth Lee Milton and Sarah Cabell Jones—met through the Richmond Woman’s Exchange.
This depot for the exhibition and sale of the handiwork of needy women has always on hand an assortment of dainty crochetted and knitted goods, toilet sets, fancy and plain needle-work and painting, besides delicious home-made biscuit, cake, jellies, pickles, beef-tea, and delicacies for the sick.
Strangers in the city may here find suitable souvenirs of their visit, and at the same time assist a deserving class of workers.
Manuscripts, Call Number Mss1 K2588 a 117-123, Library of the Virginia Museum of History and Culture, Virginia Historical Society
NO COPYRIGHT – UNITED STATES
The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
Acknowledgement of the Virginia Historical Society as a source is requested.
Sander, K. W. (1998). The Business of charity: The woman's exchange movement, 1832-1900. Urbana: University of Illinois
Jones, D. G. (2001). A box lunch. Richmond, Va.: D. Jones.
Federation of Woman's Exchanges
Richmond Exchange for Woman's Work, Social Welfare History Image Portal