If the employee is not satisfied with a Level Two Administrator’s decision in the grievance procedure, the employee may request a Level Three panel review. A Level Three panel review of the employee’s grievance cannot be conducted until the following steps have been implemented by VCU HR:
Step 1: HR Employee Relations reviews the employee’s request and makes a determination about whether the grievance qualifies for a Panel Review.
1) an employee has been issued a written warning on the basis that the employee violated a university policy; and
2) the employee has facts that call into question whether the employee's actions in fact violated the cited policy
1) an employee disagrees with a verbal warning issued by a manager;
2) the manager and employee engage in mediation in compliance with the dispute resolution required under the Working @VCU Great Place HR policy (link here);
3) the result of the mediation is that the verbal warning is reduced to a written counseling memo;
4) the manager then removes a job duty that is an essential function of the employee’s job after the mediation and conflict resolution has occurred. The employee has then raised facts to suggest that a significant question exists about whether or not the manager has retaliated against the employee, and the matter should qualify for a Panel Review.
If VCU HR Employee Relations determines the employee’s complaint does not qualify for a Panel Review, the Level Two response to the employee’s grievance is final and the matter will not proceed to a panel review hearing. VCU HR Employee Relations will notify the employee of the determination that the grievance is ineligible for panel review and conclude the grievance within 20 business days of receipt of The Record. If VCU HR Employee Relations determines that the employee’s grievance should proceed to a panel review hearing, a panel is selected and convened.
Step 2: Selection of the Panel: If VCU HR Employee Relations determines that the employee’s complaint qualifies for a Panel Review, a three-member panel is selected by central HR from a group of members previously nominated and selected through a process maintained by VCU HR Employee Relations. Mandatory training is provided to all panel members.