Step 1: Department defines the job
- Determine the position’s purpose and core responsibilities
- Develop an hourly/wage position description
- Identify the Role title/code* (Federal SOC codes are not required for hourly workers)
- Find the role codes on the career group descriptions or on the eJobs Personnel Action Form (PAF)
- If necessary, contact your HRC to determine an appropriate hiring range
Step 2: Department posts position
- Create an hourly posting in eJobs outlining position’s duties and qualifications
- Post position for a minimum of 3 business days
- Prior to posting, obtain HRC approval for any postings with a salary range greater than $80/hour
Step 3: Department reviews applicant pool
- Screen applications, selecting the most qualified
- Set up interviews (interview at least 2 candidates)
- Questions must be the same for all applicants
- Complete references for selected candidate(s)
- Recommend/Select top candidate
Step 4: Department offers job, completes paperwork
- Create the hiring proposal in eJobs. Ensure hiring proposal includes a detailed justification supporting selection of top candidate
- Attach interview notes and references to posting in eJobs
- Make contingent job offer to the selected applicant
- Conduct background check. Employee may not begin work until background check meets company standards
- Send a confirmation letter (printed from eJobs) to each new hourly employee. This letter confirms employment and start date, and makes the individual aware of the temporary nature of wage employment.
- Provide new hourly employee with important information on VCU policies and procedures. Give hourly employee the policy checklist (see also: onboarding) for new hires and have him/her sign to signify awareness of and intention to abide by university policies.
Step 5: Department forwards paperwork to VCU Human Resources
- For new hourly employees: forward the completed PAF and related supporting documentation to VCU Human Resources through ImageNow.
- For current VCU employee taking a second (hourly) university job: after completing steps 1, 2, 3 and 4, forward completed PAF and related supporting documentation to VCU Human Resources through ImageNow.
- Learn more about how ImageNow works.
Note: VCU Health System employees cannot hold “second” jobs with VCU. Consult your HR Professional for special assistance with alternative employment options.
*Role title/code = position class title code in Banner; SOC title/code = OTC (federal Occupational Title Code in Banner)