Support for Instructional Technologies
The Learning Systems team in Academic Technologies maintains and supports specific technologies identified by the University for teaching and learning instructional applications, primarily Canvas, Kaltura and LON-CAPA.
Faculty who have questions or need assistance with Canvas, Kaltura, or VoiceThread, please click the button to the left, or email LSRequest@vcu.edu. Please include the details of your question and someone will get back to you.
Meet the Team
- Katie Shedden - Sr. Manager
- Jamilah Martin - Operations & Support Coordinator
- Joe Lichtenstein - Technical Lead
- Tomas Balciulis - Systems Administrator
- Chris McDonald - Learning Support Specialist
- New Hire (coming Aug. 2021) - Learning Support Specialist
Who We Are
A team of skilled individuals - Technical System Administrators and Experienced Learning Support Specialists.
- The perfect blend of skills to facilitate delivery and support of teaching and learning technologies
- Alignment of resources to support innovative uses of technology in education
- Organizationally positioned in Academic Technologies, an integral part of Technology Services
What We Do
- Aligning resources and skills, Learning Systems supports the innovative uses of technology in education by maintaining and supporting specific technologies identified by the University for teaching and learning.
- Maintain and ensure consistent functionality and data integrity for all LS systems.
- Provide technical expertise.
- Deliver specialized end-user support.
How We Enhance It
Learning Systems collaborates with departments throughout the University to explore new technologies that provide faculty with the necessary tools and resources to create technology-enhanced courses that will engage their students. Learning Systems maintains and supports a variety of tools, applications and integrated components to enhance the primary systems we provide.
- Coordinate pilot programs, implementation and maintenance of add-on components and applications.
- Explore new technologies.
- Upgrade systems and their components to ensure compatible versions are in place.
- Collaborate with other VCU departments and schools, and other Universities.
- Implement and maintain integration with other campus systems.
How We Support It
- Timely communication of information to faculty, staff and students
- Email, phone, or virtual (i.e. Zoom) support
- Develop and maintain documentation of online and printed resources for faculty, staff and students.
- Respond and resolve help requests from faculty, staff and students.
- Utilize all resources - maintain dynamic working relationships with vendors and their support technicians.
- Outreach - participate in campus events to promote our services and answer questions.