Chapter 31, the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program, was established for service members and veterans with service-connected physical or mental disabilities.
This program can prepare students for a suitable job, help them get and keep jobs, and assist them in becoming fully productive and independent. Services include education and training, financial assistance, career planning and job placement.
For questions about eligibility, call the GI Bill helpline at (888) 442-4551.
For steps on how to establish education benefits at VCU, see our Chapter 31 checklist.
How to apply
If you are applying for VA Vocational Rehabilitation training for the first time:
- Apply using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) or submit the Disabled Veterans Application For Vocational Rehabilitation form to the VA Roanoke Regional Office and await approval and assignment to a counselor.
- After approval by the VA, attend a session with your assigned counselor from Vocational Rehabilitation Services. The counselor will give you forms that must be completed and returned to VCU Military Student Services.
- Complete the Request for Certification form to request your benefits.
- Complete the Veterans Administration’s Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status (VA Form 28-1905) given to you by your counselor.
- After submitting all required forms to VCU Military Student Services, your enrollment will be certified to the Veterans Administration Hospital.
- When you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, provide a copy to VCU Military Student Services.
- Provide a copy of VA Form 28-1905 to the VCU bookstore and Student Financial Services. If you need to buy a computer, bring the form to RamTech.