Terry Jones, Ph.D., RNAssociate Professor
Concentration Lead, Nursing Leadership and Organizational Science Concentration
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3045
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
My philosophy of teaching is rooted in the seemingly opposing camps of idealism and pragmatism. It is a philosophy shaped by my experiences in an applied discipline that requires a thoughtful blend of theory and practice. As an educator I believe my role is to inspire students and colleagues to elevate their thinking above today’s convention, to see beyond what is, and to imagine what can be. At the same time, I have a responsibility to prepare them for the world that is – to equip them for success today while they strive to build a better tomorrow. I teach content on leadership, organization & system science, improvement science (quality & safety methods), decision science, health services research, project management, budget & finance, health policy, and evidence-based practice in a variety of courses across the curricula.
I currently have two main programs of research. One program focuses on improving the nursing work environment and the quality and safety of nursing care across the health care continuum. I am particularly interested in the factors that impact how nurses spend their time and how time-use decisions impact outcomes for nurses, patients, and healthcare organizations. This line of inquiry encompasses the phenomenon of unfinished nursing care, also known as missed care or implicitly rationed care. The second program focuses on factors that impact leadership development for the healthcare disciplines. Factors of interest include managerial coaching relationships, graduate education, and service-based continuing education.
I am an active member in several professional organizations to include: The American Nurses’ Association, Sigma Theta Tau International, the Council for Graduate Education and Administration in Nursing, and the Southern Nursing Research Society. I serve as a manuscript reviewer for several professional journals, an abstract reviewer for several professional organizations, and as a grant reviewer for local and international funding agencies.
- BSN Marycrest College, Davenport, Iowa
- MS Texas Woman’s University, Denton, Texas
- PhD The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
- MS The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Billye Brown Award for Excellence in Leadership (2016)
- Innovation in Teaching, The University of Texas School of Nursing (2015)
- Reviewer of the Year, Research in Nursing & Health (2015)
- 2020-2021 Population Level Examination of Virginia’s Utilization of Telehealth Services Pre COVID 19. Funded by the VCU Intramural Grant Program. Award amount $13,867. Additional role as mentor to PI.
- 2018-2020 Unique Nurse Identifier (UNI) Validation Study. Role: Principal Investigator. Supported with funds from the VCU Ventures Program ($5000) and in-kind support from Cogit Analytics.
- 2018-2019 Alabama Hospital Staff Nurse Study. Role: Co-Investigator. Intramural support received by the PI from The University of Alabama Birmingham.
- 2016-2018 A Descriptive Exploratory Study of Academic Preparation and Progression among General Practice RNs across the Care Continuum. Role: Principal Investigator. Supported with internal funding from The University of Texas at Austin.
- 2015-2017 Principal Investigator. Implicit Rationing of Nursing Time and Care: An Exploration of Salient Behavioral, Normative, and Control Beliefs among Registered Nurses. Epsilon Theta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International. Funding $75
- 2017-2019 Principal Investigator. Clinical Leadership Development for Frontline Medical Surgical Nurses: An Evaluation of Needs & Methods. Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses $288,023.00
- Paulus, A., Baernholdt, M., Kear, T., Jones, T., & Thacker, L. (in Press). Factors associated with hospital readmissions among dialysis facilities. Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Sloss, E. A., & Jones, T. L. (in Press). Nurse cognition, decision support, and bar code medication administration: A conceptual framework. Computers, Informatics, and Nursing.
- Uchmanowicz, I., Kołtuniuk, A., Młynarska, A., Łagoda, K., Rosińczyk, J., & Jones, T. (2020). Polish adaptation and validation of the Perceived Implicit Rationing of Nursing Care (PIRNCA) questionnaire: A cross-sectional validation study. BMJ Open, 10:e031994. doi:10.1136/ bmjopen-2019-031994.
- Jones. T. L. (2020). Self-reported leadership practices among frontline medical-surgical nurses: An exploratory descriptive study of prevalence, patterns, and associated factors. MED-SURG Nursing, 29(3), 159-168.
- Jones, T., Drach-Zahavy, A., Amorim-Lopes, M., & Willis, E. (2020). Systems, economics and neoliberal politics: theories to understand missed nursing care. Nursing & Health Sciences, 22(3), 586-592.. DOI: 10.1111/nhs.12700.
- Campbell, C. M., Prapaniaroensin, A., Anusiewicz, C. V., Baernholdt, M., Jones, T., & Patrician, P. (2020). What accounts for missed nursing care in Alabama? Journal of Nursing Management, 28(8), 2174-2184. Doi: 10.1111/jonm.12979.
- Gurkova, E., Admokovic, M., Jones, T. L., Kurcova, R., Kalankova, L., & Ziokova, B. (2020). Factor analysis, validity of the Perceived Implicit Rationing of Nursing Care instrument and prevalence, patterns of unfinished nursing care in Slovakia. Journal of Nursing Management,28(8), 2036-2047. Doi: 10.1111/jonm.12887.
- De Cordova, P. Jones, T. L., Riman, K.A., Rogowski, J., & McHugh, M. (2020).
Staffing trends in Magnet and non-Magnet hospitals after state legislation. Journal of
Nursing Care Quality, 35(4),323-328. Doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000479.
- Robinson, J., Swift-Scanlon, T., Salyer, J., & Jones, T. L. (2020). The obesity paradox in sepsis: A theoretical framework. Biological Research for Nursing, 22(2), 287-294.
Schlegel, C, Yoder, L. , & Jones, T. (in press). Clinical information needs: A concept analysis. Advances in Nursing Science.
Jones, T. L. , Baernholdt, M. , & Yoder, L. (in press). Nursing services across the continuum of care. Nursing Outlook.
Willis, E, Lopes, M., Drach-Zahavy, & Jones, T. L. (2019). The theoretical dimensions of unfinished care: An exploratory analysis of structural theories. International Journal of Nursing Studies.
Jones, T. L., Willis, E, Lopes, M. , & Drach-Zahavy. (2019). Advancing the science of unfinished nursing care: Exploring the benefits of cross-disciplinary exchange, knowledge integration, & transdisciplinarity. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Published ahead of print.
Danesh, V., Neff, D, Unruh, L., Andrews, D, Guerrier, L. , Venus, S., Jimenez, E, & Jones, T. L. (in press). Can proactive rapid response team rounding improve surveillance and reduce unplanned escalations in care? A controlled before and after study. International Journal of Nursing Studies.
VanFosson, C, Jones, T. , Mann-Salinas, E. , & Yoder, L. (2018). Monthly variation in unfinished nursing care at the US Army Burn Center. BURNS, 44, 1910-1919.
Brazzell, A. , Jones, T. , Dains, J., & Champion, J. (2018). Assessing the needs of oncology APRN preceptors. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 14 (4), 296-301.
Danesh, V., & Jones, T. L. (In Press). Technology-enhanced surveillance: Can facial expression analysis add predictive power to early warning score? Critical Care Medicine.
VanFosson, C., Jones, T., Mann-Salinas, E., & Yoder, L. (in Press). Monthly variation in unfinished nursing care at the US Army Burn Center. BURNS.
Brazzell, A., Jones, T., Dains, J., & Champion, J. (2018). Assessing the needs of oncology APRN preceptors. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 14 (4), 296-301.
Jones, T. (2017). Nurse educators and nurse managers: Partners in moving quality improvement from values to competencies. Nursing Management, April 2017. DOI: 10.NUMA.0000514070.53443.e3
Lippe, M., Jones, T., Becker, H., & Carter, P. (2017). Student preparation to care for dying patients: Assessing outcomes across a curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 56(10). 633-637.
Lippe, M., Volker, D. Jones, T. & Carter, P. (2017). Evaluating end-of-life care education within nursing programs: A method for targeted curriculum evaluation. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, 19(3), 266-274.
VanFosson, C. A., Yoder, L. H. & Jones, T. L. (2017). Patient turnover: A concept analysis. Advances in Nursing Science, 40(3), 300-312.
Hamilton, P., Willis, E., Jones, T., McKelvie, R., Blackman, I., Toffoli, L.,& Harvey, C. (2017). Evaluating the performance of a single item, global estimate of missed nursing care. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 25(1), 121-141.
Jones, T. (2016). What nurses do during time scarcity - and why. Journal of Nursing Administration, 46(9), 449-454.
Jones, T. (2016). Outcome measurement in nursing: Imperatives, ideals, history, & challenges. Online Journal of issues in Nursing, 21(2), Manuscript 1.
VanFosson, C. A., Jones, T. L., & Yoder, L. H. (2016). Unfinished nursing care: An important measure for nursing care systems. Nursing Outlook. 64(2), 124-136. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2015.12.010
Jones, T., Bae, S., Murry, N., Hamilton, P.(2015) Texas nurse staffing trends before and after mandated nurse staffing committees. Power, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 16(3-4), 79-96. doi:10.1177/1527154415616254
Jones, T. L., Gemeinhardt, G., Thompson, J. A., & Hamilton, P. (2015). Measuring unfinished nursing care: What to consider when choosing and scoring surveys. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Advanced online publication available on June 25, 2015. doi:10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000143
Jones, T., Hamilton, P., & Murry, N. (2015) Unfinished nursing care, missed care, and implicitly rationed car: State of the science review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 52(6), 1121-1137. doi:10.1016/jijnstu.2015.02.012
Jones, T. (2015). A descriptive analysis of implicit rationing of nursing care: Frequency & patterns in Texas. Nursing Economic$. 33(30), 144-154.
Radhakrishnan, K., Jones, T., Weems, D., Knight, T., & Rice, W. (2015). Seamless transitions: Achieving patient safety through communication and Collaboration. Journal of Patient Safety. Advance online publication available March 16, 2015 at www.journalpatientsafety.com.
Jones, T. & Yoder, L. (2015). Dimensions of nurse work time: Progress in instrumentation. Nursing and Health Services, 17(3), 323-330. doi:10.1111/nhs.12191
- Montgomery, A. P., Baernholdt, M., Jones, T., & Patrician, P. How work environment and quality improvement ratings impact patient safety and quality of care. Poster Presentation. The 2020 State of Science Congress on Nursing Research (Virtual Presentation due to COVID-19), September 2020.
- Campbell, C. M., Prapanjaroensin, A., Anusiewicz, C., Baernholdt, M., Jones, T., & Patrician, P. Variables associated with missed nursing care in Alabama: A cross-sectional analysis. Poster presented at the Academy Health Student Poster Session. Boston, MA., June 2020. Nominated for Best Student Poster 2020.
- Patrician, P. A., Anusiewicz, C. V., Baernholdt, M., Campbell, C., Jones, T., & Montgomery, A. P. Staffing, Work Environment, and quality of Care: Results from the Alabama Hospital Staff Nurse Study. Podium Presented at 2020 Elizabeth A. Morris Clinical Educational Sessions-FACES, Montgomery, AL., April, 2020.
- Jonas, T., & Salyer, J. (2020). The Theory Modeling Party: A Strategy to Enhance Professional Socialization. Podium Presentation for the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Doctoral Education Conference, Naples, FL, on January 31, 2020.
- Jones, T., Yoder, L. (2019). Self-Reported Leadership Behaviors of Direct-Care Medical-Surgical Nurses: Strengths, Challenges & Influential Conditions." Podium presentation for Sigma Theta Tau International 30th International Annual Nursing Research Congress, Calgary, Canada on July XX 2019.
- Jones, T. (2018). "Advancing the Science of Unfinished Nursing Care: Exploring the Benefits of Cross-Disciplinary Exchange, Knowledge Integration, & Transdisciplinarity." Podium presentation for 22 nd International Philosophy of Nursing Conference, Galway, Ireland on August 23-25, 2018.
- Jones, T. (2018). "Theoretical Foundations of Unfinished Nursing Care." Podium presentation at RANCARE Local Workshop Meeting in Malaga, Spain on September 27, 2018.
- Jones, T. L. "Leadership Practices & Developmental Needs reported by Frontline MedicalSurgical Nurses." Podium presentation at the Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses 2018 Annual Convention, Orlando, Florida on September 16, 2018.
- Jones, T. “The Decision Making Component of Unfinished Nursing Care.” Podium presentation for 1st Rancare Conference COST Action 15208 (The Challenges of Nursing Care Rationing), Limassol, Cyprus on February 23, 2017.
- Jones, T. “Implicit rationing of Nursing Time and Care: An Exploration of Salient Behavioral, Normative, and Control Beliefs among Registered Nurses.” Podium presentation, Limassol, Cyprus on February 23, 2017.
- Jones, T. “Expanding Improvement Science Competencies in the Nurse Workforce: Successes and Challenges.” Podium presentation at the ANA Quality, Safety, and Staffing Conference, Tampa, Florida on March 8, 2017.
- Jones, T. “Expanding Improvement Science Competencies in the Nurse Workforce: Successes and Challenges.” Podium presentation at Innovation in Health Care Delivery Systems Symposium, Sponsored by the McCombs School of Business at The University of Texas at Austin. Presented in Austin, Texas, April 6, 2017.
- Jones, T. “Time Use, Time Culture, Time Rationing: Implications for Nurse Leaders.” Podium presentation at the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) Director Development Program in Austin, Texas on February 11, 2016.
- Jones, T., Bae, S., Murry, N., Gemeinhardt, G., & Hamilton, P. “Texas Nurse Staffing Policy and Nurse Staff Levels and Policy Implications.” Podium presentation at the ANA Quality, Safety, and Staffing Conference on Thursday, March 10, 2016.
- Jones, T. L., Hamilton, P., & Murry, N. “Unfinished Nursing Care: State of the Science Review.” Podium presentation at the ANA Quality, Safety, and Staffing Conference on Friday, March 11, 2016.
- Jones, T. “Academic Preparation and Progression among Nurse Leaders.” Poster presentation for International Nursing Administration Research Conference in Orlando, Florida on November 9, 2016.
- Jones, T. L., Hamilton, P., & Murry, N. “Unfinished Nursing Care: State of the Science Review.” Poster presentation Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Tampa, Florida on February 26, 2015.
- Bae, S., Jones, T., Murry, N., Gemeinhardt, G., & Hamilton, P. “Texas Nurse Staffing Policy and Nurse Staff Levels and Policy Implications.” Poster presentation for Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Tampa, Florida on February 26, 2015.
- Jones, T. “EBP: Road to Utopia or Exercise in Futility?” Podium presentation for Saint David’s Healthcare Nursing Leadership Symposium in Austin, Texas on May, 20, 2015.
- Jones, T. “Unfinished Care: State of the Science.” Podium presentation for American Hospital Association/ National Patient Safety Foundation Fellowship Meeting on April 27, 2015.
- Jones, T. “Nursing Practice in a Rationalized Care Environment.” Podium presentation for Epsilon Theta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau in Austin, Texas on February 13, 2015.
- Jones, T. “Rationalized Care – Global Issue & Universal Nursing Experience.” Podium presentation for Texas Student Nurses Association Annual Conference, Austin, Texas on February 21, 2015.