To ensure a seamless transition to VCU as a declared physics major, the Department of Physics recommends the following:
Completion of equivalent courses to MATH 200 (Calculus) or higher. Although these courses are transferable with a C or better, data indicates that transfer students are more likely to be successful as physics majors if grades in these courses are significantly higher (A or B).
The following are a few important points to remember as you plan for your transfer:
- VCU accepts AP scores of 4 or 5 and in some cases 3.
- Completion of PHYS 207-208 as well as completion of MATH 151, 200, 201 and 307 (Multivariate Calculus) are highly recommended for students transferring as junior physics majors. If these courses are not completed before transferring, completion of the degree will likely take longer than two years.
- A solid math background is important for success in physics.
- If a course is part of a two-course sequence, finish the sequence at the same institution.
- Some courses at VCU are sequenced and offered only in the fall or only in the spring.
- Use the Transfer Guide to ensure your course is equivalent.
Click here for some commonly asked questions about transferring.