Church of All Nations, New York City
A Long History of Community Service at the Church of All Nations
by Cristina Vignone
In the documentary The Tao of 9 Second Avenue, architect John Shuttleworth states that the Church of All Nations “was always a community-oriented building…[cutting] across ethnic boundaries.” He continues to recount that it inherited a “great history of community service,” beginning in 1874 when the Germania Assembly Rooms occupied the site at 9 Second Avenue, then alternatively known as 291 Bowery.
The Germania Assembly Rooms, which are included in The Manhattan Guide’s list of the public halls of greater New York, functioned primarily as a settlement house for German immigrants. In his King’s How to See New York: A Complete Trustworthy Guide Book, Moses King calls the institution “a dance and meeting hall.” The Telegraph Herald adds that members of the Arion Singing Society used the Germania Assembly Rooms as a communal space.Page from King's book "How to See New York" that calls the Germania Assembly Rooms a dance and meeting hall[View Image]
Excerpt from King’s How to See New York: A Complete Trustworthy Guide Book.
By the early twentieth century Hadley Rescue Hall and Wesley Rescue Hall occupied the site, with 293 Bowery as their addresses. Members of the Church of All Nations ran the halls, providing food, shelter, and religious support to “destitute” and “outcast” locals in the Bowery. The Christian Advocate in particular details the Wesley Rescue Hall’s rehabilitation of over 15,000 men and solicits donations of clothing and shoes for its members. The New York Charities Directory lists Hadley Rescue Hall as a place where “drunkards and criminals of both sexes are welcome and assistance is given when necessary.”
After its official opening at 9 Second Avenue on February 15, 1923, the Church of All Nations continued to provide services to the local community. Many interviewees in The Tao of 9 Second Avenue echo Shuttleworth’s comments, noting that the Church accepted and embraced people of all races and religions. Members could attend religious services in its chapel, which were given in Polish, Chinese, Russian, and English. According to Judy Sutula, a local synagogue even used the chapel for its Passover celebrations.
Image of NY charities directory page "Settlement and Church of All Nations...English, Yiddish, Italian, Chinese, Russian, and German. Maintains educational classes, gymnastics, sewing school...etc.[View Image]
Excerpt from The New York Charities Directory .
The New York Charities Directory chronicles other activities hosted by the “settlement house,” including the Church’s English, Yiddish, Italian, Chinese, Russian, and German events. It also offered educational classes and kindergarten for young children in addition to gymnastics and sewing school. The Church’s “Fresh Air Fund vacations,” funded completely through donation, sent city children on free summer getaways in June, July, and August.
In 1951 the New York Times advertised free puppet shows and demonstrations hosted by the Church’s Pioneer Youth Camp Program. Older Church of All Nations members could take part in theatre performances, which were either presented as part of the works division of the Department of Public Welfare or held as fundraisers for the Church.Basketball Champion Team. Six young men wearing jerseys marked "R." The man in center front holds a basketball saying "C O A N Champs 30"[View Image]
Church of All Nations members in their athletic uniforms. Photograph courtesy of Gloria Weilandis.
Local athletics clubs, like the Chinese Athletic Club and the Young People’s Christian Foundation, used the building’s sports facilities for friendly games. A rent-control station opened in the Church in 1947, allowing Lower East Side tenants to get information about their landlords and apply for rent reductions.
The Church of All Nations also served as a forum where local residents could voice their opinions and exchange ideas about particular issues. In 1928 Russian members attended a speech on Christianity, communism, and materialism hosted by the Reverend Dr. Timothy Peshkoff, the Church’s Russian pastor. Union laborers on strike over low WPA wage scales gathered in the building in 1935 to send a telegram to Mayor LaGuardia refusing to return to work. When the price of milk increased by half a cent in 1939, the Consumers’ Protective Group called a public meeting and planned a protest in the Church’s auditorium.Photograph of the Church of All Nations taken from across the street[View Image]
Image of the Church of All Nations taken in February 1967. Photograph courtesy of Gloria Weilandis.
The Church of All Nations was not the only institution committed to community service in Manhattan in the early part of the twentieth century. Much like other organizations listed in The Manhattan Guide and The New York Charities Directory, it supplied essential social, health, and religious services to local residents. The Church of All Nations also provided its members with a space to form and strengthen communal bonds, which permanently ceased with the building’s demolition in 2005.
Source: This article was originally published on the NYU student site Researching Greenwich Village History, Companion site to Creating Digital History (NYU GA HIST.2033). www.greenwichvillagehistory.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/a-long-history-of-community-service-at-the-church-of-all-nations/
NYU Contributor: Cristina Vignone
Note: A brief statement regarding Ms. Vignone can be found in the Contributor section of: Researching Greenwich Village History, Companion site to Creating Digital History (NYU GA HIST.2033) https://greenwichvillagehistory.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/cristina-vignone/