State policy on transfer agreement

VCU welcomes applications from Virginia community colleges and Richard Bland students who have earned the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science or Associate in Arts and Science degrees, or approved A.A.&S. or A.S. programs in general studies (see number 8).

Students holding these degrees will have junior standing and, as long as they have earned a minimum grade of C in all the transferable courses, will be considered to have met all lower-division general education requirements for Monroe Park Campus programs with the exception of certain lower-level and upper-level program requirements that also apply to native students. (See below for more information about requirements for all students.)

Students should closely follow the detailed course suggestions offered for Virginia Community Colleges and Richard Bland College. By selecting certain courses to fulfill requirements within the three associate degree programs, additional lower-division courses needed after transfer to VCU can be held to a minimum. 


  • Students must make proper application for admission to VCU.
  • Only courses with grades of C or higher are transferable.
  • Credits needed to meet major prerequisites will be based on the course equivalency tables or agreements resulting from program-to-program transfer agreements. (See the list of agreements)
  • Students will not be required to repeat courses that have been satisfactorily completed at a Virginia community college except in cases where special restrictions apply to all students.
  • Applicants to degree programs that are competitive are not guaranteed admission but will be evaluated on the same basis as native students.

For students with any of the associate degrees from a VCCS institution or Richard Bland College, VCU degree requirements in effect at the date of the student’s admission to the VCCS or RBC associate degree program will be used in certifying the student for graduation if the student has not interrupted his or her associate degree more than two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions).

Requirements of native students which would apply to associate-degree holders are:

  1. Writing requirements: The core education program writing requirement at VCU includes UNIV 111UNIV 112 and UNIV 200. Students who successfully complete ENG 111 and ENG 112 at the community college with a minimum grade of C in both classes have fulfilled all core education program writing requirements (UNIV 111UNIV 112 and UNIV 200) at VCU.

    For associate degree holders, completion of ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 at RBC with a minimum grade of C in both classes will fulfill the UNIV 111UNIV 112 and UNIV 200 requirement. For RBC students who transfer without an associate degree, ENGL 101 at RBC=UNIV 112 at VCU; ENGL 102 at RBC=ENGL 215 at VCU; and ENGL 200 at RBC=UNIV 200 at VCU.
  2. Foreign language: All bachelor’s degree programs in the College of Humanities and Sciences, School of Social Work and VCU Life Sciences require competency through the elementary level of a foreign language; some majors require competency through the intermediate level.
  3. Mathematics/statistics: All bachelor’s degree programs in the College of Humanities and Sciences have mathematics/statistics requirements that must be met. See specific program for required courses and their equivalents.
  4. The School of Social Work requires a 2.5 GPA for admission to upper-level courses. The School of Business requires a minimum GPA for admission to upper-level course work. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies in the School of Business for the current minimum GPA required. The School of Mass Communications requires a 2.5 GPA for admission to upper-level work. For students pursuing careers in early or secondary education through the Extended Teacher Preparation Program of the College of Humanities and Sciences and the School of Education, a 2.8 GPA and successful completion of the Praxis I examination are required for entry into Teacher Preparation, a stage in the program after the student has completed at least 60 credits. For students applying to majors in the School of the Arts, a portfolio evaluation for visual arts applicants and an audition for performance applicants are required.
  5. The professional baccalaureate programs within the schools of Social Work, Nursing and Allied Health Professions, the Dental Hygiene Program in the School of Dentistry, and the doctoral programs in physical therapy and pharmacy have specific program-related lower-level requirements that must be completed to apply to and enter health sciences programs and to achieve success in the programs, if admitted.

    The health, physical education and exercise science programs have specific lower-level requirements related to state-approved program status, professional certification and entry into the practicum sequence. Specified science courses are prerequisite for entry into upper-level kinesiology and exercise science courses.
  6. Transfer work from some occupational or technical programs is reviewed under specific conditions for the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies program and the special program in nursing for community college R.N.-degree holders who wish to complete the Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
  7. Students wishing to transfer to the School of Engineering must have a 3.0 GPA with no grades below a C. Also, B grades or better must be attained in mathematics, science or engineering courses to be considered for transfer. Transfer students from the VCCS will follow the VCCS and VCU admission agreement for engineering
  8. The A.A.&S. and A.S. programs in general studies are considered transfer degrees by VCU.
  9. Senior capstone experience: All bachelor’s degree programs require the completion of a senior capstone experience within the major as part of the VCU core curriculum.
  10. Detailed information about Virginia Community College/VCU and Richard Bland College/VCU transfer-equivalent courses is available through the course equivalency tables.