- Technology Services
- Teaching and Learning
- Profile and User Settings (Faculty)
- Profile Settings: Edit User Accounts Settings (Faculty)
Edit User Account Settings
Users can make changes to their pronouns, default email, language, and time zone.
- Setting a chosen language will override any default language settings across your institution; however, any language set in a course will override your user language.
- Users associated with a SIS ID cannot delete their own account.
1. In Global Navigation, click the Account link , then click the Settings link .
Account Settings [View Image]
2. Click the Edit Settings button located on the far right-hand side.
Edit Settings Button_Profile [View Image]
Settings that Cannot be Edited
Edit the appropriate settings:
- Full Name  is used for the Gradebook and Grades pages, Chat, People, and SIS imports.
- Display Name  is how other users will see your name in Announcements, Conferences, Conversations, and Discussions.
- Sortable Name  defaults to your last name, first name and appears in sorted lists so admins can search for it.
In order to change your name in Canvas, you will need to follow the procedure set forth on this Update my Name page.
Settings that Can be Edited
- Pronouns  display after your name in various areas throughout Canvas.
- Language  can be set to your native language and is the language you want to use in Canvas (does not apply if an instructor sets a specific language for a course).
- Time Zone  can be set to where you are located and displays assignments in your local time.
Password  cannot be changed if your account was created via the SIS imports. To change your VCU eID/login password, go to https://ts.vcu.edu/askit/eid/eidpassword/.
If your login requires use of the "non-credit/other" link you are able to change your password from this location.
Account Setting Options [View Image]
3. Click the Update Settings button.
Delete Access Tokens
Click the Delete icon beside the token you would like to delete. Click OK. See Manage API Access Tokens for more details.
Delete Access Token [View Image]
Edit Ways to Contact
This is strictly used for Canvas so that it knows where to send notification emails. Exchanges of emails and feedback will use this information. VCU emails will be used here but users can add email addresses or phone numbers to be used for different notifications.
Locate these options on the far right-hand side.