This is the preliminary (or launch) version of the 2021-2022 VCU Bulletin. This edition includes all programs and courses approved by the publication deadline; however we may receive notification of additional program approvals after the launch. The final edition and full PDF version will include these updates and will be available in August prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
The goals and objectives of the College of Health Professions and its component departments and programs relate to the education of persons preparing for professional careers in the allied health disciplines. An integral requisite of students and practitioners is an undeviating acceptance of a professional attitude and pride that will motivate them to adhere to a code of professional ethics and to develop fully their competencies for practice.
The suitability of student performance and behavior relating to these professions and to the consumers of health care is a paramount concern of the administration and faculty of this college. To assure a quality of educational and clinical preparation for its graduates, the following statement is promulgated:
- If, in the judgment of the faculty and administration of the College of Health Professions, a student is not considered suitable for emotional, professional or related reasons, the student’s academic status may be appropriately altered.
If any questions arise regarding the standards of performance or behavior, it is the responsibility of students to apprise themselves of acceptable character and conduct requirements prior to matriculation in the designated department or program.
Standards of professional behavior
These standards describe behaviors expected from the faculty and students of the College of Health Professions. They are in addition to those standards of behavior and ethical conduct required by the college’s departments and professional organizations. They are supplemental to the university statement regarding conduct in the classroom.
- Recognize one’s position as a role model of your profession for other members of the health care team
- Carry out academic, clinical and research responsibilities in a conscientious manner, making every effort to exceed expectations and demonstrating a commitment to lifelong learning
- Treat patients, faculty and students with respect, demonstrating sensitivity to diversity regarding ethnicity, culture, age, gender, disability, social and economic status, sexual orientation, etc., without discrimination, bias or harassment
- Maintain patient/client confidentiality
- Respect the privacy of all members of the campus community and avoid promoting gossip and rumor
- Interact with all members of the health care team in a collaborative and supportive fashion, with respect and recognition of the roles played by each individual
- Provide help or seek assistance for any member of the health care team who is recognized as impaired in his/her ability to perform his/her professional obligations
- Be mindful of the limits of one’s knowledge and abilities and seek help from others whenever appropriate
- Abide by accepted ethical standards in the scholarship, research and practice of patient/client care
- Abide by the guidelines of the VCU Honor System