May 2021 School of Social Work Commencement details
2021 School of Social Work Commencement [View Image]
The School of Social Work is excited to share that our spring Commencement ceremonies are planned for Friday, May 14, 2021, at City Stadium (3201 Maplewood Avenue, Richmond, Virginia 23221; map with parking and accommodations highlighted).
* Registration has closed for graduates and their guests who plan to attend the ceremonies.
STREAMING THE CEREMONY
* Both ceremonies will be live streamed via the school’s Facebook page and website.
These in-person ceremonies are not open to the general public, and only graduates and guests who are registered are allowed to attend.
The ceremony will have some modifications due to the required state and health department guidelines for commencement ceremonies during the COVID-19 pandemic. To ensure a safe event with appropriate social distancing, the school will split graduation into separate ceremonies:
- The M.S.W. commencement ceremony starts at 9 a.m. ET. Students and guests may begin arriving at 8 a.m. The ceremony will last approximately 1 hour.
- The B.S.W. commencement ceremony starts at 1 p.m. ET. Students and guests may begin arriving at noon. The ceremony will last approximately 1 hour.
Other information that graduates and guests must know in advance is:
- If you are feeling ill, please abstain from attending.
- All members of a graduate’s party must arrive simultaneously and check in with school volunteers at the check-in tents. All attendees must be accounted for in case contract tracing must occur following the event.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the stadium.
- Face masks that cover both the mouth and nose must be worn at all times by graduates and their guests.
- Each guest group shall be distanced 6 feet from one another, and all graduates shall sit 6 feet apart in the ceremony area.
- Per the current Virginia health regulations for graduations, graduates/faculty/volunteers may not shake hands, hug or pass items to one another.
- Attendees may not congregate before or after the event in the parking lots or inside the venue.
- All current venue sanitization regulations shall be adhered to by Social Work event staff and volunteers, including wiping down high-touch surfaces every 2 hours.
- There is no passage of materials (including but not limited to: paper, pens, scrolls, commencement programs) between unaffiliated graduate parties, faculty/staff or between these groups.
- An usher will direct the guest party to their seating location, while the graduate is directed to their seat in the graduate seating area.
- Due to social distancing and sanitization requirements, guests are not permitted to change their seating location.
- Preferential seating for individuals requiring American Sign Language interpretation, those who have visual impairments, and limited mobility shall be provided with advance registration.
- A gender-inclusive/family restroom will be available, for a single occupant or single family at a time.
- One men’s and two women’s restrooms will be available, and attendees may use the restroom that aligns with their gender/gender identity.
- Guests may bring water or other non-alcoholic beverages for personal consumption. The school will not provide drinks.
- City Stadium prohibits smoking inside the venue.
- The ceremonies are rain or shine events, and personal protective gear is strongly recommended. The school cannot provide ponchos, umbrellas or sunscreen. The stadium seating is not covered. The school is not able to hand out water, so please plan for hydration needs and heat protection.
- Please consider wearing comfortable shoes, particularly since there is a possibility for rain during the ceremonies.
- Each graduate will have the opportunity to pose for a portrait from our photographer, and your photo will be emailed to you.
We understand how vital a safe yet pleasurable commencement experience is to both graduates and their guests. The School of Social Work asks students to share these guidelines with their guests before graduation day.
We look forward to celebrating this joyous occasion with our graduates as they become the next generation of social workers!
University Commencement details
VCU will host a university-wide virtual commencement Saturday, May 15. Please make note of these upcoming dates, and check out the VCU commencement site for more details.
Diploma and degree conferral
The official conferral date for May 2021 degrees is Saturday, May 22. Degrees will post to your record on Tuesday, June 1. Degrees will not appear on your academic transcript until this date. Degrees will only show for those students who have satisfied all degree requirements and receive final approval. Check your academic transcript via eServices to ensure your degree has been posted before requesting official transcripts.
Diplomas will be mailed beginning Monday, June 28, to the address provided during graduation checkout. To receive your diploma, you must meet all financial obligations to the university. Diplomas will be on hold for students who have not met their financial obligations.Please contact the Office of Records and Registration at email@example.com or (804) 827-1673 if you have additional questions.
Graduating students from the Class of 2021, when you leave the School of Social Work after earning your degree, it’s not the end of our connection. We want to send you our quarterly alumni newsletter; share events, networking and professional development or continuing education opportunities; and let you know about jobs for social workers.
Please take a moment to:
If you have questions or need assistance, you can contact the school’s alumni team at (804) 828-7166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Categories Alumni, Community, Students