These materials, primarily from VCU Libraries Special Collections and Archives, range in subject matter from African-American history in Virginia to Richmond's past and present, from the comic and cartooning arts to the history of VCU, from medical artifacts to oral histories. Collections are presented in a variety of formats, including photographs, art, text, video, and audio. Digital Collections come from a broad range of sources, including materials that are offensive or contain negative stereotypes. VCU Libraries provides access to these items to support research and inquiry.

Pages

Historic Fulton Oral History Project [View Image]
Historic Fulton Oral History Project
About this collection The purpose of the Historic Fulton Oral History Project is to educate, to raise awareness, and to gain an understanding of life in the Historic Fulton community, located in the East End of Richmond, Virginia. Its need comes from a commitment to preserve the 20th century history of the neighborhood and its residents. This was accomplished through the compilation of the oral histories of Historic Fulton residents, particularly those with strong ties to the Historic Fulton community prior to the City of Richmond's 1970s urban renewal plan. The Historic Fulton Oral History collection contains 17 interviews with 32 named interviewee participants. The interviewees are teachers, activists, clergy, and community leaders who grew up in the predominantly African-American Historic Fulton community in the 1930s through 1950s. The interviewees were also witness to the City of Richmond's 1970s urban renewal plan that permanently changed the landscape of Historic Fulton. These interviews present the unique perspectives of those who were Historic Fulton residents by allowing the community to speak for and about themselves. With the Greater Historic Fulton area undergoing continued change and development in the 21st century, understanding Historic Fulton's past is an invaluable resource for the neighborhood's future. The project was developed in 2011 in partnership among the Virginia Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), The Valentine, the Neighborhood Resource Center of Greater Fulton, and the Greater Fulton Future Legacy Work Team. Physical copies of audio recordings and written transcriptions were distributed to a variety of local institutions to ensure that the oral histories may be accessed widely. Contact information for institutions where physical recordings and transcripts are available for on site research and use can be found below. VCU Libraries is honored to also host the streaming digital collection of the Historic Fulton Oral History Project to further aid in the discovery, access and use of the collection. Copyright This material is protected by copyright, and the copyright is held by The Valentine. You are permitted to use this material in any way that is permitted by copyright. In addition, non-commercial use of this material is permitted. For any commercial uses, permission is required. Using the collection Full streaming copies of all audio interviews are available for use through this digital collection. Each interview has been fully transcribed and is also searchable. All of the interviewees in the Historic Fulton Oral History Project were born, raised or lived within the boundaries shown in red on this map. Interviewees Evelyn Bowman Linda Braxton, Pamala Rogers and Sheila Smith Theresita Braxton Estelle Braxton-Davis Bernadette Tart Clark Forrest Dowden Ida Ellet Alice N. Ellis and Dudley R. Lanthrip Carolyn Fuller Joseph Highsmith and Annesto Highsmith Younger Larcenia Johnson and Lula Mae Brady Milton Johnson Raymond Jones Blanche Henderson Lewis and Samuel Henderson, Sr Reverend Mary Patricia Perez Linda Sutton Historic Fulton Field Interview: Federal Branch, Ephraim Briggs, Wanda Brown, Charles Crawley, Waverly Hughes, Patricia Melvin, Eric Robinson, Willie Robinson, and Douglas White Spencer Edward Jones, III (In-person access only. Please contact The Valentine for further information on how to access this interview.) Spencer Edward Jones, III statement
January 15, 2015 "Tell the Truth – Shame the Devil!!" My name is Spencer E. Jones III. I live today as I lived in 1977, when this photo was taken, by the mantra "Living In Truth." I was born in the middle house to the left of me, in the same room, delivered by the same doctor as was my mother, Mrs. Marion McNair. The address of that house that my mother and I were born in was 702 Denny Street. Those three homes were located at the corner of present day Fulton Street and Old Denny Street. I am very proud to say that I was the one who came up with the name Old Denny Street and Old Nicholson Street. The street pictured is 4700 Old Williamsburg Ave. To my right all the way to the James River is Rockett's. The 356 acres that made up the community then known as Fulton was leveled by the 1970 Fulton Urban [Removal] Renewal Plan. My mother and I along with our attorney Saad El-Amin, fought for our home in federal court and I say this proudly, we Won and are still Winning. Those 356 acres formerly known as Fulton is now known as Historic Fulton. Historic Fulton, which comprises Rockett's, is The Birthplace of Richmond. We the people of Historic Fulton are here, We the people of Historic Fulton survived, We the people of Historic Fulton are special, The time is now to Shame the devil!! Spencer E. Jones III Founder and CEO The Historic Fulton Foundation
Acknowledgements This project is in memory of the legacy of Earl A. Robinson, 708 Goddin Street. Special thanks to all interviewees who shared their stories for this project. Additional thanks to the following:
  • Greater Fulton Legacy Work Team
  • Historic Fulton Oral History Project Sub-Committee:
    • Keith B. Conley
    • Corliss Freda Johnson
    • Reverend Mary Perez
    • Linda Sutton
    • Octavia Banks
    • Virgil Hockaday
    • Spencer E. Jones, III
  • Meg Hughes
  • Veronica Fleming
  • Rebecca Fralin
  • Dr. Caroline Morris
  • Erin O'Donnovan
  • Suzanne Savery
  • Jason Sawyer
  • Autumn Reinhardt Simpson
Spencer E. Jones, III, Reverend Mary Perez, and Linda Sutton worked tirelessly to obtain permission from all participants to include their interviews in this VCU Library project. Physical copies and written transcriptions Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia 00 W. Clay Street Richmond, VA 23219 (804) 780-9093 Boatwright Memorial Library University of Richmond 28 Westhampton Way University of Richmond, VA 23173 (804) 289-8876 James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives Virginia Commonwealth University 901 Park Avenue Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1108 L. Douglas Wilder Library & Learning Resource Center Virginia Union University 1500 N. Lombardy Street Richmond, VA 23220 (804) 257-5820 Library of Virginia 800 E. Broad Street Richmond, VA 23219 (804) 692-3500 Mount Calvary Baptist Church 4401 Hobbs Lane Richmond, VA 23231 (804) 236-0557 Neighborhood Resource Center 1519 Williamsburg Road Richmond, VA 23231 (804) 864-5797 Richmond Public Library (Main Branch) 101 E. Franklin Street Richmond, VA 23219 (804) 646-7223 The Valentine 1015 E. Clay Street Richmond, VA 23219 (804) 649-0711 Virginia Historical Society 428 N. Boulevard Richmond, VA 23221-0311 (804) 358-4901
Jackson Ward Historic District [View Image]
Jackson Ward Historic District
Browse original book About Jackson Ward Richmond's Jackson Ward neighborhood is located on the northern edge of the downtown district. It was originally built by European immigrants attracted to and made prosperous by Richmond's status as a central retail hub. Freed slaves began moving into the neighborhood during Reconstruction, and by 1920 Jackson Ward was one of the most active and well-known centers of African-American life in the country. Jackson Ward hosted a thriving entertainment district centered on the famed Hippodrome theatre. Among the names that appeared regularly were Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, and Richmond's own Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. The neighborhood was the home of a number of large and well-known African-American churches, including the Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church, founded by famous orator John Jasper. It also hosted a strong retail and business community in which Maggie L. Walker became the first woman in America to found and lead a bank in the United States when she opened the St. Luke Penny Savings. Jackson Ward was also the home and headquarters for civil rights advocate John Mitchell, Jr., editor of the Richmond Planet, which crusaded against the discrimination and persecution of African-Americans in the South. The late 1950s would have a devastating effect on the unity of Jackson Ward. City and state officials designed the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike (now part of I-95) to pass through Jackson Ward, bisecting the neighborhood and tearing down many structures. At the same time, desegregation and white flight were opening other neighborhoods to blacks, beginning a scattering that gradually left more and more of Jackson Ward in the possession of absentee landlords and real estate speculators. As buildings began to deteriorate, the area was further targeted for new development such as federal housing projects, the City Coliseum that opened in 1970, and the building of additional administrative buildings by the city, state, and VCU. A number of the buildings pictured here have been demolished in the thirty years since these photographs were taken. The National Park Service has information on Jackson Ward and its architecture. Additional information about present-day Jackson Ward can be found at the site of the Historic Jackson Ward Association. This collection VCU Libraries, in cooperation with the City of Richmond, is proud to present this series of photographs documenting Richmond's historic Jackson Ward neighborhood. These photos were taken by John Zehmer as part of a City of Richmond project, and published in 1978 in the book The Jackson Ward Historic District, with text by Robert P. Winthrop, Virginia architect and specialist in the architectural history of Richmond. Items in this collection were digitized in 2007. The online collection presents the entire book as originally published, page by page. We have also digitized each of the original photographic prints used, scanned from the mock-up boards used in the preparation of the book for printing, from the collection housed at James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives. Each photograph is presented with the accompanying text from the original book, with additional information about the architectural style and features of the building depicted. Obvious errors (primarily spelling errors) have been corrected. Addresses have been supplied for the photographs on pp. 36-40. In some cases, the photographs on the boards were different from those used in the book; these instances are noted in the description, designated as "Image Note." If no print was available for a photograph used in the book, the book version was enlarged. Again, this is noted in the description. Many of the photographs were cropped extensively for inclusion in the book; we have scanned the entire image of each print. Also, there are several prints that were not used in the book; these have been scanned and designated as such. The photographs are presented in JPEG 2000 format. Copyright This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.
James Branch Cabell's Library [View Image]
James Branch Cabell's Library
About this collection The Special Collections and Archives at Virginia Commonwealth University’s James Branch Cabell Library proudly houses the library of writer James Branch Cabell, originally cataloged by Dr. Maurice Duke’s 1968 dissertation from the University of Iowa (James Branch Cabell's Library : A Catalogue). Created by VCU Department of English Professor Emeritus Maurice Duke, the Catalogue was the first attempt to fully represent the contents of James Branch Cabell’s library in 1967: its organization, contents, and functions. This collection consists of digital presentations of the two copies of this dissertation currently held by VCU Libraries, as well as a dataset containing other information about each entry. Each entry in the Catalogue provides the author, title, publisher information, and year, as well as other descriptive elements. Notably featured are signifiers which represent the location of each book, pamphlet, or magazine within Cabell’s home, as his library was largely organized by genre and utility. The Catalogue also provides descriptive information regarding the contents of each book in Cabell’s library, including the bookplate, any autograph or dedication, and the objects enclosed. The two copies of Duke’s Catalogue consist of identically photocopied pages, though they are dissimilar in binding and annotations. The ‘unannotated’ copy features light corrections from Edgar McDonald, longtime James Branch Cabell scholar in residence, and other librarians and library staff. McDonald’s edits in the introduction amplify the content of Duke’s description of Cabell’s house and the history of his library—including a clarification that Cabell’s first library was not destroyed in a fire. This copy has been imaged in grayscale. The annotated version was used by VCU Libraries Special Collections as a working catalog, revised to update information regarding the nature, state, and location of the books. This version features multiple symbols in varying colors drawn from a variety of sources as part of multiple cataloging efforts; one, for example, to make sure that all of the contents of the library were preserved during its move to the new Cabell room. This copy has been imaged in full color. Some annotations across these two versions are explicitly contradictory (see p. 18, entry 54). This collection also features a dataset compiled from MARC records of the current holdings of the Cabell collection. The dataset provides OCLC number, author name, title, publisher information, date, extent, series, notes, the number which Maurice Duke assigned to each entry, and an indicator for the location within Cabell’s house where each object was found by Duke in 1967. Copyright This collection is of mixed copyright status and includes items that are in copyright as well as items that are in copyright, non-commercial use permitted. See individual items for item-specific copyright information. Maurice Duke holds the copyright to his thesis. You are permitted to use the thesis in any way that is permitted by copyright, and acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested. VCU holds copyright for the dataset, which is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), and acknowledgment of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is required. Additional research information Almost all of the original books from Cabell’s library, as well as both copies of Duke’s dissertation (PS 3505 .A153 Z5582 1968), are housed in Special Collections and Archives at James Branch Cabell Library and are available for researchers. Please direct reference and research inquires to libjbcsca@vcu.edu or call (804) 828-1108.
Kay Seidenberg Nursing Postcard Collection [View Image]
Kay Seidenberg Nursing Postcard Collection
About this collection The Kay Seidenberg Nursing Postcard Collection consists of American and European postcards relating to the nursing profession. Seidenberg, a 1985 graduate of the VCU School of Nursing, began collecting postcards shortly after embarking on her nursing career. At first she was more of a generalist in her collecting, but she gradually began to acquire nursing related cards. While building her collection she learned about Edith Cavell, an English nurse who was executed by the Germans in 1915 for assisting Allied soldiers to escape from occupied Belgium. Cavell’s story fascinated Seidenberg and she made the martyred nurse the focus of her collection. The Cavell postcards were bought from dealers or obtained at postcard shows primarily in the Mid-Atlantic region. Seidenberg once exhibited her Cavell collection for the Old Dominion Postcard Club. Cavell postcards were fairly easy to acquire. The British nurse and her story were popular with British, Belgium, and other European postcards producers. These publishers took advantage of the frenzy surrounding Cavell’s execution and produced cards that memorialized the nurse and contributed to the anti-German propaganda campaign. They produced real photo, linen, comic, and serial cards. Representative cards of each type can be found in the Seidenberg collection. To learn more about Edith Cavell, see the online exhibit of the same name in the VCU Libraries Gallery. Copyright This collection is of mixed copyright status and includes items that are in the public domain as well as items that are of unknown copyright status. See individual items for item-specific copyright information. Additional research information The Kay Seidenberg Nursing Postcard Collection is housed in Special Collections and Archives at the Health Sciences Library. Please direct reference and research inquires to libhssca@vcu.edu or call (804) 828-9898.
Low Art Tile Book Collection [View Image]
Low Art Tile Book Collection
About this collection Low Art Tile Works, located in Chelsea, Massachusetts, was founded in 1877. It was one of a handful of companies, including the Chelsea Keramic Art Works, to advance the development of decorative tiles in the United States during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Low Art Tile Works specialized in high relief decorative art tiles for fireplaces, walls, cast-iron stoves, and soda fountains, establishing a prominent reputation for innovation in design. Inspired by European tiles at the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, John Gardner Low, along with his father John Low, established J. & J.G. Low Art Tile Works in Chelsea the following year. The company reached prominence in the 1880s, when it garnered several prestigious awards in the U.S. and Europe. Also during this period, the company’s name changed, after J. F. Low, son of John Gardner Low, replaced his retired grandfather. Of the artists and designers who worked for Low Art Tile Works, some went on to establish successful companies. In 1890, George W. Robertson, a chemist and glaze expert for Low, established Robertson Art Tile in Morrisville, Pennsylvania. William H. Grueby, who apprenticed with the company for ten years, founded in 1894 Grueby Pottery, which was known for its matte green glaze called “Grueby Green.” English sculptor Arthur Osborne, who designed the renowned “Plastic Sketches” for Low (which published booklets by the same title) returned to England in 1898, where he began producing his acclaimed “Ivorex” plaques in the market town of Faversham. During its 25 years of business, Low Art Tile Works published several editions of catalogues. It marketed one catalogue in particular as an art book. VCU Libraries’ Digital Collections include three Low Art Tile publications: two catalogues (1884 and 1887 editions) and the art book, Plastic Sketches (partial 1887 edition). A complete edition, the 1884 catalogue includes two photographic plates of fireplaces and 28 plates of unglazed designs, a historical chronology, a reference key for the plates depicted, a price list of Low’s art tiles, and 36 pages of advertisements. The VCU Libraries’ copy also is inscribed, "Compliments of J.G. & J.F. Low." The 1887 catalogue is incomplete. Compared with a 1990 reproduction of an intact 1887 catalogue, VCU Libraries’ copy lacks the following: six of 51 plates of unglazed designs (1-4, 12, and 51), the front and back covers, a title page, a reference key, a price list, and at least three pages of advertisements. Of particular note, however, are four lithographed plates (7-10) labeled “Moorish Designs,” which are not present in other Low catalogues. Plastic Sketches contains a special series of 47 unglazed tiles modeled by Arthur Osborne. It was published in 1882 as a small, inexpensive booklet and, later, in 1886 as a deluxe edition with a satin cover. The digitized version is of an incomplete deluxe edition of 27 of the plates. Arthur Osborne’s signature, the letter “A” inside a circle, is evident in the bottom right corner of each modeled tile. Items in this collection were digitized in 2011. Copyright This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.
Medical Artifacts Collection [View Image]
Medical Artifacts Collection
About this collection This digital collection provides access to a representative group of 167 objects from the Medical Artifacts Collection housed in Special Collections and Archives at the Health Sciences Library. Numbering over 6,000 items, the Medical Artifacts Collection includes surgical, dental, and diagnostic instruments, therapeutic devices, uniforms of healthcare professions, and medical furniture related to the history of health care in Virginia since 1838. In the 1930s former Medical College of Virginia President William T. Sanger and Directing Librarian E.C.L. Miller created a small museum collection in the college library forming the nucleus of the Medical Artifacts Collection. A number of items from the collection are on display in the Peter N. Pastore History of Medicine Exhibit Hall at the Health Sciences Library. These medical artifacts, represented by images in this collection, have been assigned both uniform object types and Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) to facilitate access. The object types were derived from MeSH, The Revised Nomenclature for Museum Cataloging, and the Dittrick Medical History Center's subject headings for medical history objects. Only a small portion of the collection is represented here. Please contact Special Collections and Archives about other objects in the Medical Artifacts Collection. Highlights from the Collection Brass fleam and lancet, 1820-1850 Brass hinged enclosure with two fleam blades and a lancet blade. The apparatus is roughly constructed, and shows signs of significant use and verdigris on the interior of the brass housing. Fleam blades are approximately equal in width, but vary in distance projecting from the blade arm. Urethral Sound Set, 1878-1884 Set of urethral sounds in a velvet-lined wooden case. The box is made of dark-colored wood, and has a brass nameplate on the top which is engraved, "Morris L. King M.D. Roosevelt Hospital 1882-83." Box closes with a locking catch. The interior of the case is divided into two compartments, lined with purple velvet and with a padded velvet divider between the two to keep instruments in the upper tray in place which has a gold foil seal reading "Philip H. Schmidt Surgical "Instruments No. 1311 Broadway Cor. 34th St. N.Y." The tray in the upper lid has two large, empty troughs, and has purpose-cut slots for the included catheter and gauge. The lower tray holds a complete set of 16 sounds of different sizes, which correspond to the sizes marked on the included gauge. Each sound's proximal end is engraved with two numbers, signifying the sound's size, and "P.H. Schmidt N.Y." Head Mirror, 1925-1945 Adjustable head mirror with adjustable leather strap. Mirror is circular, with a circular aperture and a slightly convex lens encased and backed by steel, which is attached by a fully rotatable and adjustable screw mechanism which allows the mirror to be completely detached from its harness. Strap is of thick brown leather, and has a steel clasp which a snap mechanism for adjusting its length. Copyright This material is protected by copyright, and copyright is held by VCU. You are permitted to use this material in any way that is permitted by copyright. In addition, this material is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/). Acknowledgment of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is required.
Newlyweds and Their Baby [View Image]
Newlyweds and Their Baby
Dedicated to the memory of Jennifer L. Cason, Digital Specialist at the VCU Libraries from 2007 to 2011. About this collection The Newlyweds was the first American family newspaper strip. Created in 1904 by George McManus and published in New York World, the strip centered around an elegant young couple. Baby Snookums was introduced in 1907 to round out the family unit. The strip proved to be so popular that a rival newspaper, The New York American, invited McManus to join their paper. He continued The Newlyweds strip under the name Their Only Child since creators were allowed to take their characters with them if they changed the name of the strip. American comic books got their start in the early 1900s reprinting popular newspaper strips and were sold at newsstands. The books of reprinted strips varied in shapes, sizes and quality with most being printed on pulp paper with a cardboard cover. The Newlyweds and Their Baby (1907), published by New York World, is an example of an early hardcover comic book with heavy glossy paper and color printing. The library’s copy, held at James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives, is inscribed by McManus with a sketch of baby Snookums. George McManus (1884-1954) was born to Irish parents in St. Louis, Missouri. He dropped out of school at age 15 and went to work at The Saint Louis Republic where he published his first comic. After winning a fairly large sum of money, he moved to New York and found work creating comics for The Funny Side of the World, the Sunday comics section in Joseph Pulitzer’s New York World. McManus created many short-lived comic strips during his career; his two most famous and longest running were The Newlyweds and Bringing Up Father, a strip he created after going to work for William Randolph Hearst in 1912. Copyright This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.
Oral Pathology Review Images [View Image]
Oral Pathology Review Images
About this collection Dr. Dennis Page of the Department of Oral Pathology (now Oral Diagnostic Sciences) of the VCU School of Dentistry developed this collection of images to help students learn about the most common abnormalities of the oral cavity. The collection includes images of soft tissue abnormalities and radiographic abnormalities of the oral cavity. The images may be searched by type of abnormality, description, or Medical Subject Headings (MeSH). Copyright This collection is of mixed copyright status and includes items that are in copyright as well as items that are in copyright, non-commercial use permitted. See individual items for item-specific copyright information. Additional research information The original slides are held at Health Sciences Library Special Collections & Archives. Browse suggested topics Most Common Soft Tissue Abnormalities of the Oral Cavity Most Common Radiographic Abnormalities of the Oral Cavity
PS Magazine [View Image]
PS Magazine
About this collection An Army publication on preventive maintenance would hardly be a common choice when deciding what materials to digitize and make available to a wider audience. But publications aren't filled with the incomparable art work of the late Will Eisner (1917-2005). Browse by year Index Issues Will Eisner was already famous for his work on The Spirit when he was drafted for duty during World War II. While in the service, Eisner put his artistic talents to work in army publications, creating a character named Joe Dope. After the war, the army wanted to design a publication dedicated to preventive maintenance that soldiers would actually want to read, and turned to Eisner's young company, American Visuals Corporation. Eisner was the artistic director for PS Magazine from its inception in 1951 through 1972. Eisner began a 24 year absence from the comic book world when he founded the American Visuals Corporation in the late 1940s to produce commercial work. As one of the biggest names in the industry, Eisner attracted some of the best aspiring comic artists. Artists you will find in PS Magazine include: Murphy Anderson (Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space, Adam Strange, The Flash, Green Lantern); Mike Ploog (Creepy, Planet of the Apes, Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing); Don Perlin (Werewolf by Night, Ghost Riders, The Defenders); Dan Spiegle (Space Family Robinson, Mangus, Robot Fighter, Korak); and comic strip artist/writer Andre LeBlanc ("The Phantom," "Flash Gordon," "Rex Gordon, MD"). Each issue of PS Magazine consisted of a color comic book style cover, often designed and drawn by Eisner; eight full pages of four color comic continuity story in the middle; and the rest was filled with technical, safety, and policy information printed in two color to save money. The continuity story starred his earlier character and was called "Joe's Dope Sheet." Each episode offers the same cautionary tale: a soldier who ignores preventive maintenance learns of its importance in the end. Eisner commanded a high level of freedom to create the continuity section and he used his colorful comic style to draw the reader in. Eisner had always believed that the comics medium had teaching potential and the work of American Visuals Corporation helped confirm this for him. The company produced educational cartoons and illustrations and giveaway comics for a variety of clients and industries. Eisner took on a number of roles within the company. In the case of PS Magazine, he created the continuity section and the art of each issue based upon the technical manuscripts provided to him by the Army's PS staff. As part of his contract with the magazine, Eisner was sent on location to places like Japan, Korea, and Vietnam in order to meet soldiers and better understand the situations they and their equipment experienced. Will Eisner revolutionized the world of comic books twice. First with the 1939 comic The Spirit, a gritty urban crime fighter tale written for adult readers and distributed as a newspaper insert. Then with his 1978 , A Contract with God and Other Tenement Stories, one of the first modern graphic novels. In between, he and his company showed how comics could be used as popular educational tools. We are pleased to offer a complete run of all Eisner issues, issues 1-229, as well as 3 special issues and 22 index issues, primarily digitized from the print copies held by James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives. Special thanks go to the PS Magazine Division of the U.S. Army for generously donating 92 issues for scanning to help us fill in the gaps. Copyright This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested. Additional research information For more on Will Eisner, see Will Eisner: A Spirited Life by Bob Andelman. PN6727. E4Z55 2005 For more on PS Magazine or to view current issues, visit: https://www.logsa.army.mil/#/psmag
RPI Student Newspapers [View Image]
RPI Student Newspapers
About this collection Student-run newspapers at Virginia Commonwealth University have existed for over 80 years. While many are familiar with the Commonwealth Times, which began publishing in the fall of 1969, it was preceded on the Monroe Park Campus by two earlier student newspapers. The Atlas was the first published student newspaper on the Monroe Park campus. It ran from 1929 until 1939, when the school was known as the Richmond School of Social Work and Public Health, a Division of the College of William and Mary. In 1939, the school continued its affiliation with the College of William and Mary but it became known as the Richmond Professional Institute (RPI). That same year the Atlas received a new name, the Proscript. It published under that title for 30 years. Soon after VCU was formed in 1968 from the merger of RPI and MCV, the Proscript became the Commonwealth Times. On the Medical College of Virginia campus the student newspaper was the Skull and Bones which ran from the 1930s until the 1950s. During 2009-2013, bound issues of both of these early newspapers were digitized and indexed. This digital collection is comprised of 75 issues of the Atlas and 662 issues of the Proscript. Original issues are housed in James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives. The Commonwealth Times is already available as a VCU Libraries Digital Collection. Two RPI alum who served as staff members to the Proscript are worth noting. Humorous editorial cartoons in the Proscript in the early 1950s were provided by Carl “Chick” E. Larsen (1923-1991), a 1954 graduate of RPI. Larsen would go on to become an editorial cartoonist for the Richmond Times-Dispatch from 1968 to 1977. Tom Robbins (1936-), author of eight novels including Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, served as editor of the Proscript during the Fall semester of the 1958-1959 school year. He also wrote a column called “Robbins' Nest” which ran four times in 1958. The following Spring 1959 semester he wrote a column called “Walks on the Wild Side” which ran twelve times. These columns contained early elements of Robbins’ irreverent writing style. Access to the Atlas and the Proscript provides interested researchers with nearly 40 years of the early history of the school. Hundreds of news and feature articles and other facets of the newspapers, along with thousands of images, illustrate the history of the school. The dramatic growth of the college is documented, as are school events, sports, campus life, and other aspects of VCU’s past. Copyright This material is protected by copyright, and the copyright is held by VCU. You are permitted to use this material in any way that is permitted by copyright. In addition, this material is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/). Acknowledgment of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is required.
Rarely Seen Richmond [View Image]
Rarely Seen Richmond
About this collection Rarely Seen Richmond: Early twentieth century Richmond, Virginia as seen through vintage postcards is a digital collection of over 600 postcard images of Richmond, most dating from 1900-1930, from the James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives. The intent of the collection is to help document early twentieth century Richmond by displaying a unique collection of images of the city. Many of these images include buildings and structures that either no longer exist or have since been altered. The subject matter of these postcards also lends insight into the social and cultural attitudes of those times. Postcards began to be widely used in the United States soon after the passage of the Private Mailing Card Act in 1898. It freed private publishers from what was considered unfair competition from government issued cards. In the next few years the demand for postcards grew as a craze for collecting them spread throughout the country. Dozens of postcard printers, both American and European, began producing postcard views. This "golden age" of postcard publishing and collecting lasted from 1898 through 1912 when thousands of cards were produced, mailed, and collected by the public. According to figures issued by the U.S. Post Office for fiscal year 1907-1908, 677,777,798 postcards were mailed in the United States in that year. Though the craze for postcards diminished by the time World War I began, postcards continued to be published and collected. One estimate has put the number of Richmond, Virginia postcard views at 2,000. Many of the postcards in this collection were colorized from original black and white photographs. Copyright This collection is of mixed copyright status and includes items that are in the public domain, in copyright, and of unknown copyright status. See individual items for item-specific copyright information. Additional research information For more information about Virginia postcard history, see Kelly Henderson, "The Art of the View: Picture Postcards of Virginia, 1900-1925," Virginia Cavalcade, Vol. 40, No. 2 (Autumn 1990), 66-73.
Richmond Architectural Survey Collection [View Image]
Richmond Architectural Survey Collection
About this collection This collection contains data sheets that identify and evaluate over 600 structures located in Richmond’s Jackson Ward and Oregon Hill neighborhoods. The surveys were compiled by the City of Richmond’s Department of Planning and Community Development in the mid-1970s. The evaluations were intended to be used in preservation plans and for city planning as a whole. These data sheets predate the standard survey forms used in Virginia used since the 1980s. The survey form included a section identifying the building, its basic architecture, and the date of construction. A separate section was used to evaluate the structure’s architectural significance. The forms were color-coded: yellow for Jackson Ward, green for Oregon Hill. Many of them also included one or more photographs of the buildings that were evaluated. In presenting these, we show the original data sheet with the photograph attached, as well as separate images of the photographs themselves. Occasionally, there were also separate Assessors Property Cards included, with further details on the buildings, presented here as separate images. The data sheets reflect the bias at the time against vernacular architecture. Often, smaller and more simply designed buildings were considered less important architecturally, and less important to preserve. These views began to change in the 1980s when city planners and architectural historians began to consider vernacular architecture as important as other designed buildings. These changing views led preservation efforts to save entire blocks and not just key buildings. The physical collection is housed at James Branch Cabell Library Special Collections and Archives. Browse these suggested topics Jackson Ward Oregon Hill Copyright This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.

Pages