Vaccine guidance for international students and scholars



All VCU students are required to submit an immunization record to Student Health Services.

Download the Certificate of Immunizations and have a physician in your home country complete the information in English before you come to the U.S.

Note: Student Health Services does not accept tuberculosis (TB) tests done outside of the U.S. You must complete the TB test at the Student Health Services within five days of arriving on campus.


Health Insurance for International Students

All J-1 students and scholars are legally REQUIRED to purchase health insurance that meets the following guidelines:
• Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
• Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
• Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the J1 visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
• A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

All F-1 students are strongly encouraged to purchase health insurance while studying at VCU.
Medical care in the U.S. is quite expensive, and you must have health insurance to help with these costs. Information about different health insurance plans is available at International Student Orientation and in the Global Education Office. We do not endorse any one plan but can answer your questions to help you make an informed decision.

F-1 Health Insurance Recommendations
• The best plans will provide unlimited coverage, but you should aim to purchase at least $250,000 in coverage per accident, injury or illness.
• The plan should include medical evacuation and repatriation.
• The insurance provider does not need to be an American company, but it should have an office in the U.S.
• The student/scholar should plan to keep insurance coverage current at all times while studying here and should purchase coverage in increments of at least one academic term. Plans that cover pre-existing conditions generally require the purchase of at least 6 months.
• Each student or scholar enrolls individually online at the insurance company’s website. Student Engagement staff are available to assist, if needed.

View graphic versionView graphic versionView graphic version