Travel Health Resources

A well-informed traveler is a safe traveler!

Student Health Travel Clinic

Student Health offers free pre-travel consultations to VCU students by appointment.  

  • It is best to complete your travel health care at least 30-60 days prior to your departure.  
  • Be prepared to provide specific information about your destination, accommodations, and activities.
  • Students are responsible for the cost of recommended prescriptions and vaccines.
Basic Travel To-Do List

The following are minimum items to consider completing prior to your departure.  Read the Student Health brochures below for comprehensive recommendations for safe travel.

  • Travel vaccines: Don't wait until the last minute to update your vaccines!  Ideally, vaccines should be completed a minimum of 15 days before arrival at your destination.  Some vaccine series require 6 months to complete.  You can access vaccine records that you have submitted to (or obtained at) Student Health through our Web Portal.
  • International Health & Travel Insurance:
    • If you are participating in a study abroad program, be sure to enroll in VCU's international health and emergency assistance insurance plan with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Here are the full plan details. 
      • This insurance plan covers health care costs incurred during university-sponsored international travel and provides emergency assistance, including medical or security evacuations and repatriation of remains.
      • Once enrolled, students should familiarize themselves with the CISI coverage and instructions on how to use the insurance while abroad. We recommend that you download the myCISI mobile app and carry a paper copy of your insurance card with you.
    • If you are not participating in the a study abroad program, apply for the International Student ID (ISIC) card. The ISIC card provides basic health, evacuation, and travel insurance at a low cost to full-time students. Part-time students ages 31 and under can apply for the International Youth Travel Card.
    • For an explanation of what travel insurance covers and a comparison of policies, go to
Finding Medical Services Abroad
  • Learn about the health care resources at your host university and host community. Some universities have their own Student Health clinics while others can provide a list of recommended doctors/clinics in the community where you can use your CISI insurance.
  • Once you purchase CISI insurance through VCU or the ISIC card you will have access to a directory of medical services worldwide. You can also see which medical facilities have English-speaking staff.
  • You can also find English-speaking medical providers through the US Embassy website.  Choose the country of interest then the embassy office.  Next click on "US Citizen Services" at the top, scroll down to Local Resources and choose "Medical Assistance", where you will find information about medical services specific to your destination.
  • Consider using other travel apps, such as TravWell by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) and TravelSmart by Allianz Global Assistance.
Student Health Brochures
Other Online Resources
View graphic versionView graphic versionView graphic version