VCU established standing internal groups to guide the planning process:
- The Board of Visitors had the ultimate authority for adoption of the final plan.
- The Executive Sponsors were composed of senior leadership including the Provost and Vice-Presidents, the President's Office, VCU Health System leadership and University Counsel. A subset of this group formed the Executive Sponsors Prioritization Subcommittee, which provided frequent guidance to the process.
- The Facilities Planning Steering Committee was composed of nearly 50 members, including several members of the Working Group and the functional leadership covering every area of operations for the University and VCU Health System. This Committee included student, faculty and staff representatives as well as representatives from the VCU Board of Visitors and the VCU Real Estate Foundation.
- The Master Plan Working Group was composed of facilities planning leadership from across the University and VCU Health System along with other directors associated with space use, allocation and community engagement. Members of this group worked alongside the planning consultants on a regular basis to guide the process. This group included student representatives.
- Over the course of the planning process, Focus Groups were formed as individual topics arose that need a finer-grain level of analysis.