Deadline to apply: January 1
Due to the stringent curriculum of our program, we highly recommend that student starts his/her study from the Fall semester. For Ph.D. applicants, students who have been accepted into the program with the assurance of financial assistance receive such support mainly in the form of teaching assistantships and/or fellowships. All students on assistantships and fellowships receive a tuition waiver and a stipend package. Students are fully supported throughout the duration of their studies as long as satisfactory progress is being made toward a degree. For M.S. applicants, the acceptance will only be offered to the top candidates and the department does not provide financial support to M.S. students.
- A doctor of pharmacy or a bachelor's degree in pharmacy, chemistry, biochemistry, biology, pre-medicine, engineering or a related science from an accredited college or university
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Satisfactory scores on the GRE
- Satisfactory scores on the TOEFL (if applicable)
- Your personal statement should reflect your personality and your interests/goals.
- GRE scores form an important criteria, however no cutoff is specified.
- A TOEFL score of 250/300 (web-based), 600/660 (paper-based) or 100/120 (IBT) is necessary for consideration of admission.
- Documents, such as photocopies of research articles published in journals, will greatly aid your candidature.
International Students will need to send their package to The International Admissions at VCU. Ask the ETS to send your GRE/TOEFL scores to International Admissions, VCU (VCU code 5570, Department Code not necessary).
Please note that when filling the application form (online or hard-copy), add "Med Chem" under either "Concentration" or "specialization" column to ensure your application will be directed to our department.
Martin Safo, Ph.D.
Director, Graduate Admissions
Department of Medicinal Chemistry
School of Pharmacy
Biotech I, Suite 212
800 E Leigh Street
Richmond, VA 23298-0540
Tel: (804) 828-7291 Fax: (804) 828-7625