Outdoor Adventure Program
Climbing and Bouldering
An OAP staff member instructs two students at the climbing wall. The instructor holds belay ropes. All three are wearing masks. [View Image]
Belay Clinics will be held every Thursday through August 19, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Great News! The OAP Climbing Wall will allow participants to belay one another again beginning July 1, 2021.
- In order to belay, you must pass a belay test administered by an OAP staff member.
- Participants may ask to take the belay test at the climbing wall desk.
- Belay approvals last for one year.
- If you do not pass the test the first time, you are welcome to come back and take it again (after a 24 hour wait time).
- If you are new to belaying, OAP offers belay clinics on weeknights. Register using the link above.
- With the return of belaying, we will also move back to having all participants tie into the ropes at the climbing wall using a figure-8 follow through.
- If you are not comfortable tying this knot, OAP staff will teach you how to tie it!
- You are welcome to bring your own belay device, or you can borrow a friction plate (ATC) device from the OAP free of charge during your visit to the Wall.
Summer 2021 roped climbing hours are
- Monday - Friday 3:00-9:00 p.m.
- Sundays 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
The Cary Street Gym Climbing area features a 35-foot climbing wall with six top rope and one lead climbing routes. This area also features one freestanding and 18-foot bouldering section.
- There is no additional cost to members or guests to use the climbing area.
- The Climbing Wall is a chalk free area. However, liquid chalk is allowed.all bouldering is drop-in any time the building is open, and roped climbing drop-in is available during posted hours.
- Climbing harnesses & shoes are available for free rental
- Lead climbing is only available during climbing clinics, which must be registered for in advance.
- Patrons can register for climbing clinics online. Use the link above to register.