- School of Education
- Full Directory
Yaoying Xu, Ph.D.
Professor, Counseling and Special EducationYaoying Xu, Ph.D. [View Image]
- Ph.D. in special education, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- M.Ed. in early childhood/special education, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- B.A. in English language and literature, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Culturally and linguistically appropriate assessment and intervention; social interaction skills and language/literacy skills related to school readiness; peer-mediated instructional strategies; family empowerment; personnel preparation in EI/ECSE
- Principal Investigator, Project 3IP
- President (2015-2016), Chinese American Educational Research and Development Association
- Director, the International Educational Studies Center at VCU School of Education
- Project 3IP: Interdisciplinary and Intensive Intervention Preparation for Professionals Serving Young Children with Significant Disabilities (2017-2022). U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP). (OSEP Grant CFDA 84-325K IDEA, $1,090,947.00)-Principal Investigator
- Coleman, H. M., Xu, Y., & De Arment, S. (2020). Empowering diverse families. International Journal of Early Childhood Special Education, 12(1). Doi:10.20489/intjecse. 702077
- Xu, Y., & Liu, L. (2019). Examining sociocultural factors in assessing vocabulary knowledge of children from low socio-economic background. Early Child Development and Care, Online First. DOI: 10.1080/03004430.2019.1711375
- King, A., Xu, Y. (2019). Caregiver coaching for language facilitation in early intervention for children with hearing loss. Early Child Development and Care. DOI:1080/03004430.2019.168092
- Tripathi, T., Dusing, S., Pidcoe, P. E., Xu, Y., Shall, M. S., & Riddle, D. L. (2019). A motor learning paradigm combining technology and associative learning to assess prone motor learning in infants. The Physical Therapy Journal, 99(6), 807-816.
- Xu, Y., De Arment, S., Coleman, H., & Huennekens, M.E. (2018). Teacher scaffolding for reciprocal peer tutoring to promote English learners’ language skills. DEC Recommended Practices Monograph Series No. 4: Instructional Practices, 91-104.
- Xu, Y. (2018). Engaging families of young children with disabilities through family-school-community partnerships. Early Child Development and Care, DOI:10.1080/03004430.2018.1552950
- Xu, Y., & Huennekens, M.E. (2016). Effects of a multicultural perspectives course on teacher candidates’ intercultural competence. Journal for Multicultural Education, 10(1), 72-86.
Dr. Yaoying Xu is a professor in the Department of Counseling and Special Education at Virginia Commonwealth University. She teaches master’s and doctoral courses including assessment, multicultural and global perspectives in education, and single subject research methods. Her research interests and expertise focus on social aspects of children and students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and how social interaction skills affect academic achievements.
Dr. Xu has been a principal investigator or co-principal investigator of nationally or state-funded grant projects generating over $8 million for research, personnel preparation, or program development and evaluation. Dr. Xu is associate editor for the Journal of Child and Family Studies and editor for Early Child Development and Care in Asia and Pacific areas, in addition to serving on the editorial boards of several other journals.