The Loan Management department of Treasury Services is primarily responsible for maintaining the Federal Perkins, Health Professions, Nursing, University and Foreign Visitors Loan Programs.
The following are procedures to assist foreign visitors requiring immediate financial support, for amounts up to $1,000, for expenses incurred prior to receiving payroll direct deposit or checks.
1. The Fiscal Administrator and visitor's sponsor evaluate the visitor's needs. The sponsoring department completes the promissory note. The sponsoring department provides the Global Education Office (GEO) with written justification to support a foreign visitor's loan, a promissory note and a Direct Pay/General Encumbrance form. (Blank promissory notes are available at the GEO). The justification letter should include the name and DS-2019 number of the individual. The sponsoring department completes the promissory note to the extent possible. The department requests Accounts Payable to create a Banner vendor number if no student identification number exists. If a student identification number exists, that V# should be used to complete the Direct Pay / General Encumbrance form.
2. Once the vendor number is created the department completes the Direct Pay / General Encumbrance form related to the loan using the departmental index code, departmental contact, requestor signature and approver signature. The department enters Foreign Visitor Loan in the Business Purpose / Justification section of the form. The maximum repayment schedule is four semi-monthly installment payments. Exceptions can be requested from the Director, Treasury Services if the repayment period would result in an undue financial hardship to our foreign visitor. The following items are sent in a packet as a single submission to the Global Education Office.
a. Justification Letter
b. Promissory Note
c. Direct Pay / Encumbrance Form
3. Once reviewed and approved on page two of the promissory note, the GEO forwards the original promissory note and the supporting documentation to Loan Management. Loan Management changes the Direct Pay/Encumbrance form, using Banner Index NU1057 Account 170001. The Direct Pay/Encumbrance form and a copy of the signed promissory note will then be forwarded to the attention of Valerie Washington in Accounts Payable for payment by Loan Management.
4. Account Payable prepares the loan payment, with special instructions to Disbursement Operations to notify Loan Management when the check is available. (This is normally an overnight process.) If a check is generated, Loan Management retrieves the check and notifies the home department that the check is available. If the Foreign Visitor has signed up for direct deposit, the funds will be deposited into their bank account and an email notification will be mailed out.
5. Loan Management obtains the foreign visitor's signature on the promissory note, if necessary, prior to releasing the check. The signed promissory note is retained by Loan Management, and a copy is sent to Payroll to support the payroll deduction.
6. The home department is responsible for obtaining the visitor's student identification number and providing it to the Human Resource Division - Transactions.
7. Payroll will deduct the first repayment installment from the visitor's first check (salary advance or payroll check). Payroll provides Accounts Payable and Management with the visitor's social security number if it was not previously available. If the visitor is removed from payroll prior to full repayment, Payroll notifies Loan Management. Loan Management will coordinate with the Collection Unit for follow up on the collection of the loan.
VCU utilizes an outside billing servicer for the Federal Perkins, Health Professions (HPSL, LDS, PCL), Nursing and long-term University loan programs. For questions regarding the status of your account, you may contact Loan Management at 804-828-4538 or contact Heartland, ECSI at 1-888-549-3274.
Virginia Commonwealth University is pleased to announce that effective March 1, 2016, the billing for your student loans, formerly handled by Campus Partners is now managed by Heartland ECSI; a leading provider of student loan servicing and higher education billing services.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT? If your loan is currently in repayment, your payment will be due on the 15th of every month. If you have made your current monthly payment to Campus Partners, the payment will be forwarded to Heartland ECSI and posted to your account.
IMPORTANT: If you are currently making your student loan payments by using recurring monthly payments automatically drawn from your bank account, you will need to create recurring monthly payments with Heartland ECSI by accessing your account.
CAN I ACCESS MY ACCOUNT ONLINE? You can now manage your account 24/7. Visit Heartland ECSI to view your details, update your contact information, make payments and enroll in paperless statements and email notifications. If you have not registered, you will need to create a profile using your Heartland Key. When prompted, you can search for your Heartland Key using the following information:
School Code: W31 |Account #: Your nine (9) digit SSN | PIN# 48332
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW: If you do not wish to pay online, please mail to Virginia Commonwealth University c/o ECSI, 181 Montour Run Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108. If you are currently in a deferment or grace period, you will receive statements prior to the first payment due date, however, no payment is required until your deferment or grace period has expired. If you have questions regarding your statement, please contact ECSI at (888) 549-3274 or CService@ecsi.net . If you need further assistance regarding your account, please contact Loan Management at 804-828-4538 or email@example.com.
Other sources of information regarding Federal loans:
Department of Education - Perkins loan information, consolidation and help with defaulted loans.
Department of Health and Human Services - Health Professions (HPL, LDS, PCL) and Nursing information, regulations, disciplines and programs.