Virginia Geriatric Education Center (VGEC)
While most health care providers serve older adults in their practice, few have received formal education in gerontology or geriatrics. The organizer of the annual Virginia Geriatrics Society conference notes that between 87%-92% of the healthcare professionals attending each conference do NOT have formal training in geriatrics. The VGEC, housed within the Virginia Center on Aging, strives to advance the quality of health care for older adults across the Commonwealth of Virginia and combat the shortage of professionals trained in geriatrics.
The VGEC is an interdisciplinary consortium of four partnering universities and many community partners. They are healthcare and aging specialists working together to develop and deliver training grounded in evidence-based practices and interprofessional teamwork.
Federal funding of the VGEC as a Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP) is provided to increase the number of healthcare professionals who are trained in geriatrics and to reach out to areas of the state which are medically underserved. Funding for this program is provided by the Bureau of Health Professions (BHPr), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Department of Health and Human Services under Grant No. U1QHP28744 (Virginia Geriatric Education Center).
VGEC Mission: To improve the interprofessional education and training of health professionals in Virginia through faculty development, continuing education, and the clinical training of students in geriatrics.
Virginia Geriatric Education Center Logo [View Image]
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- University of Virginia
- Eastern Virginia Medical School
- George Mason University
Community Partners Include:
- Alzheimer’s Association Central and Western Virginia Chapter
- Alzheimer's Association Greater Richmond Chapter
- Center for Excellence in Aging and Lifelong Health
- Fairfax Family Medicine
- Hampton University
- Health Quality Innovators
- Lucy Corr
- New River Valley Area Agency on Aging
- Rappahannock-Rapidan Emergency Medical Services Council
- Rhode Island Geriatric Education Center
- Senior Connections, The Capital Area Agency on Aging
- Virginia Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Virginia Geriatrics Society
- Virginia Tech
The Plenary is the interprofessional team responsible for all initiatives of the Virginia Geriatric Education Center and its HRSA-funded Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP). This dedicated group meets regularly to collaborate and ensure success of the VGEC's many initiatives.
- Chuck Alexander, MA - VCU Health
- Ed Ansello, PhD - Virginia Center on Aging at VCU
- Peter Boling, MD - VCU Health
- Trish Bonwell, RDH, PhD - VCU School of Dentistry
- Connie Coogle, PhD - Virginia Center on Aging at VCU
- Kimberly Davis, MS, RN - VCU School of Nursing
- Ken Faulkner, MA, MDiv - VCU Department of Patient Counseling
- Sheryl Finucane, PhD, PT - VCU School of Physical Therapy
- Robert Fix, PhD, MS, OTR/L - VCU Department of Occupational Therapy
- Kevin Grunden, MS, CCC-SLP - VCU and Blue Ridge PACE
- Bonita Hogue, MSW - VCU School of Social Work
- Emily Ihara, PhD, MSW, FGSA - GMU Department of Social Work
- Christine Jensen, PhD - Riverside Center for Excellence in Aging and Lifelong Health
- Adrienne Johnson, MS - VirginiaNavigator
- Sarah Marrs, PhD - Virginia Center on Aging at VCU
- Jenni Mathews, BS - Virginia Center on Aging at VCU
- Maddie McIntyre, BS - Virginia Center on Aging at VCU
- Pam Parsons, PhD, GNP-BC - VCU School of Nursing
- Elvin Price, PharmD, PhD - VCU School of Pharmacy
- Mary Rubino, MD - EVMS
- Patty Slattum, PharmD, PhD, CGP - VCU School of Pharmacy
- Pam Teaster, PhD - Virginia Tech Center for Gerontology
- Jodi Teitlelman, PhD - VCU Department of Occupational Therapy
- Cathy Tompkins, PhD, MSW - GMU Department of Social Work
- Cindy Warriner, RPh, CDE - Health Quality Innovators
- Bert Waters, PhD - Virginia Center on Aging at VCU
- Emma Wheeler, PT, DPT, MS - VCU Department of Physical Therapy
- Ishan Williams, PhD - UVA School of Nursing
- Jodi Winship, PhD - VCU Department of Occupational Therapy
- Kristin Zimmerman, PharmD, CGP - VCU School of Pharmacy
VGEC Education and Training Initiatives
The VGEC is involved in a number of initiatives and education programs across the state.
Interprofessional and Caregiver Education
Caring for You: Mind, Body and Soul.
Free educational video course for caregivers presented by The Riverside Center for Excellence in Aging and Lifelong Health in partnership with VirginiaNavigator.
Creating Interprofessional Readiness for Complex & Aging Adults (CIRCAA).
A faculty and clinician development program.
Dementia-focused conferences, trainng, and workshops
Extension for Community Health Outcomes (ECHO) programs on aging with lifelong disabilities
Mason Music & Memory Initiative (M3I).
A program that “Improves the quality of life of persons living with dementia by using personalized music to access long-held joyful memories and positive emotions.”
Rappahannock EMS: Training on dementia and advanced care planning.
Virginia Association of Area Agencies on Aging regional trainings
Student and Clinical Training
Extension for Community Health Outcomes (ECHO) programs for medical students
Neurocognitive and Functional Assessment Experience. The VGEC and VCU Health coordinate this program that sends first-year medical students to area assisted living facilities to conduct neurocognitive assessments.
Reynold's Virtual Case Studies
Senior Mentoring. The VGEC and VCU Health coordinate this program to match first-year medical students with community-dwelling older adults for a series of interviews.
Partnership Initiatives for Older Adults
Eastern Virginia Medical School's Senior Strong Program
Oral health initiative with VCU's School of Dentistry and Lucy Corr Village
Research and programming related to falls and opioid abuse with the Richmond Health and Wellness Program